Question Adguard Home

NAS
DS1019+ DSM6
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
anyone use Adguard Home here?
i've just set it up in a docker on the NAS, and playing about with the config until i'm happy to use it as the primary DNS for the LAN.

in the DNS settings i've change the upstream DNS to "https://dns.google/dns-query" - i guess that will be sufficient for all devices? or should i also stick in the 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 addresses?

for the bootstrap DNS, that is still set to the default (9.9.9.9 / 149.112.112.112) do i also need to change them to Google ?

i only want to use Google DNS.

yeah i realise that.
what i'm asking is if that is sufficient or if i also need to use the IP addresses.

and what to put in the bootstrap section.

Last edited:
Anyone have any isntructions for a Linux noob like me how to install this on a NAS?

I followed these instructions,

But after step 17 the docker image is constantly rebooting.
Screenshots doesn't work on this website unfortunately...

I followed these instructions,
That site is unreliable @Shadow . Filled with much unreliable stuff.

Here's the best walk-through I came across (worked for me!)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Don't miss the path correction mentioned in the notes.

Here's the best walk-through I came across (worked for me!)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also doesn't work. It's DNS service isn't doing anything...

I do notice this in the logs:
Code:
2020/03/08 13:18:06 [info] The server is configured to refuse ANY requests
No idea why it's saying that...

Did you manually point your NAS DNS to the adguard_bridge IP address and restart your NAS?

I have to restart my entire NAS for this? Oh...
Well, I'll have to plan this later than.
I can confirm the DNS service of AdGuard does work fine. On a few clients i manually pointed DNS to the adguard_network IP address and it works. I also tested with another NAS running a DNS service, set forwarder to AdGuard and that also works.
So for some reason the NAS running the AdGuard container just doesn't seem to be able to communicate with AdGaurd, even tough I'm using the bridge IP address..

For the moment I've set the DNS forwarder on my NAS to my Synology Router (DNS package installed), and that forwards than back to the AdGuard container. Not pretty, but it works for now.. :)

On my other NAS (in another network, connected with site-to-site VPN), I used the LAN IP address of the AdGuard. Works good!

For the moment I've set the DNS forwarder on my NAS to my Synology Router (DNS package installed), and that forwards than back to the AdGuard container. Not pretty, but it works for now...
I'm using this on my NAS...

GbTAPV1.png

With that arrangement, NAS DNS requests are passed through my router. That all said, I have DNS traffic (some, not a lot) going through the MacLAN IP.

An aside... with a few days of traffic, I have 100,000 DNS requests, 28,000 of which are blocked. Of those. Roku accounts for 10,000 blocked requests.

I was also surprised at how chatty my Samsung TV is... so, I've blocked nearly all samsung traffic...

I'm still trying to determine how to block domains by device. For example, my TV occasionally calls out for yahoo.com. I'd like to block that without blocking Yahoo entirely. If you get something working along those lines, please share.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to determine how to block domains by device. For example, my TV occasionally calls out for yahoo.com. I'd like to block that without blocking Yahoo entirely. If you get something working along those lines, please share.

Hmm. I checked and indeed blocking a domain for a specific network device isn't straight forward. And Yahoo isn't listed in one of the services to choose from...

In my setup, I would probaly do some kind of trick to still be able to get this blocked I think. As my NAS'es are the primary DNS servers, not AdGuard. In the DNS package, create an empty yahoo.com zone and attach it to a 'View' which contains the IP address of that TV only. This will cause that DNS server to send empty replies back to the TV for yahoo.com domain resolve requests, but should forward yahoo.domain domain queries from all other devices to it's forwarder (AdGuard Home in my case).

I checked and indeed blocking a domain for a specific network device isn't straight forward. And Yahoo isn't listed in one of the services to choose from...
On the AH site, there's a brief writeup on using $ctags, but it's not obvious to me how to assign a tag to a device. I'll give "zones" a looksee. Thanks.

i abandoned using (or trying to use) AdGuard - just didn't like the cut of its jib.
i much prefer PiHole, but it seems that's just not possible (or isn't advised) to run in Docker on a NAS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.