AdguardHome (Docker) and DDNS lesson

Currently reading
AdguardHome (Docker) and DDNS lesson

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
Last edited:
Seeing that Synology released firmware for its router line reminded me to update my router's firmware today. Shortly after the update I began to have connection issues with my PCs. I checked the AGH traffic logs, and they were odd. Nothing appeared blocked or passed. Figuring that AGH was at fault, I changed my DNS to Google, and had access to the world. After grumbling over AGH, I decided to shut down its docker container. But... I couldn't log into the NAS unless I used its local IP. Hmm... (have you figured it out the issue yet? I didn't). So I shut down the container, but the NAS DDNS domain was unusable...

Later... I discovered that the firmware upgrade caused a WAN IP change ... and apparently, the AGH docker container was quite unhappy with that outcome, as the NAS DDNS updater hadn't promptly updated (I'm unsure how frequently it checks, but it seemed to be around 90 minutes).

After refreshing the DDNS domains IP, I restarted the AGH container... and the preliminary results indicate that all is back again. It's still not clear to me why AGH is dependent upon my DDNS domain, but it appears so.

Any thoughts on this? For 2 hours I ran about in circles trying to determine whether the firmware update hosed me, or whether AGH was acting up, or my Ethernet card had gone bust. What a great day! 😁

Hmmm. Doesn't AGH work by inserting itself as a DNS server? If it is confused - or shut down - your client would need to have a secondary or tertiary DNS server defined that was independent of AGH.

As I am not familiar with the details of AGH I can only speculate, but do wonder if restarting the docker would have been enough to make it happy, even without refreshing the DDNS. Of course you'd still need a correct DDNS to reach the NAS by domain name.

What a waste of time. I hate it when these (illogical) things happen, especially when I do it during odd times. So I learned not to do any major changes or updates unless I have ample time to spare in case something goes belly up. So no updates or changes before meetings, sleeping time, scheduled outings and expected up times. And every DSM update is an adventure that I dread 😬

your client would need to have a secondary or tertiary DNS server defined that was independent of AGH.
I chose not to do that, otherwise a DNS failover might go unnoticed (OK... there would be more ads...). So my main machines only have AGH for DNS. My router uses AGH backed by 1.1.1.1.
but do wonder if restarting the docker would have been enough to make it happy
Tried this without success. Was almost at the point of restarting the NAS.

What a waste of time. I hate it when these (illogical) things happen, especially when I do it during odd times. So I learned not to do any major changes or updates unless I have ample time to spare in case something goes belly up. So no updates or changes before meetings, sleeping time, scheduled outings and expected up times. And every DSM update is an adventure that I dread 😬
I'll second this EXCEPT I'll say "So I learned not to do any major changes or updates unless *my husband is gone or not watching TV or not using the network* unless I have ample time to spare in case something goes belly up.

And yes, the last 3 weeks of installing the DS1520+, migrating from the Drobo to the Synology, installing Plex on the Synology, and changing out the switch so I can use 2 or 3 ethernet ports on the Synology. Husband's been through a lot the last few weeks.

...and yes, I'm still alive. I've gotten a few colorful nicknames recently, but I'm still alive. 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.