Advanced opinions before buying

Currently reading
Advanced opinions before buying

NAS
920+
Hello everybody,

first of all a shout-out to all the people in the forum helping each other (and helping especially the newcomers) patiently. I really do appreciate the efforts and the healthy spirit that seems to be present all over.
Now I've taken the courage to register myself to help others and to address some of my own questions and ask for a second (or more) opinion(s) before making my decission of buying a specific model.

After my research I am interested in buying the 920+ model. The main tasks to fulfil are storing data from different devices (like mobile phones and notebooks) as well as the file sync to be able to work from different devices on the same file (not simultaneously). The device also will be part of a backup-strategy. Video-surveillance, and running virtual machines is important for me as well.

Most of it probably can be done using a 720+, but I don't want to risk limiting myself regarding possible future tasks or opportunities due to hardware limitations once I've dived into the subject a little deeper and I want to avoid buying extensions for more disks

1. I am planning on an initial four bay configuration with 4x 4TB to take advantage of a RAID 5 redundancy. Shall I change the configuration to fewer drives with a higher capacity for some specific reason?

2. Is it still worth to buy the 920+? Has anyone heared about new versions being released this year with significant improvements regarding the hardware? I have not brougt up any information myself doing a quick research.

3. Is there a better way to guarantee long term flexibility and support than the plans that I've made by choosing the 920+ four bay configuration?

Thank you very much for helping out!

Best Regards,
Schewa

1. I am planning on an initial four bay configuration with 4x 4TB to take advantage of a RAID 5 redundancy. Shall I change the configuration to fewer drives with a higher capacity for some specific reason?
It will depend on your storage needs.

Is it still worth to buy the 920+?
New version is not on the horizon any time soon. A new version might get announced this year but probably a slim chance of getting it on the market in 22.

Getting 920 now will for sure be future proof. Most models can last for a decade but that will for sure depend on your needs both storage and data wise.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the replies. The 920+ it is going to be.
And regarding the idea of 3x6TB - i like it. Going to check for the IronWolf series.
Appreciated your time and help.

Best Regards,
Schewa

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.