Currently reading
Advice about Synology Drive wanted

NAS
DS214+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am still running Cloud Station and associated apps on MacOS and IOS. I have been hesitating about moving to Synology Drive as it is unclear how well it works with either of these.
Specifically we have 3 macs which have different sets of user folders synced to the NAS. None of them are running anything later than Mojave (due to legacy apps that won’t work with catalina - that’s another problem!). This works fine with Cloud Station. The IOS apps, DS Cloud, DS Photo used to be fine but with recent versions of IOS (13,14) aren’t working well. Editing NAS files using numbers or pages regularly locks the iPad and crashes the app. This appears to be because DS Cloud is attempting to sync the edit when there is no network connection. I‘d like to know if this is likely to improve with Synology Drive. I’m also concerned about offline access as I often need access to files when I have no network connection.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

used Drive with all possible OSs, include Smart
in one session +25clients (SME site)
include well orchestrated offline (and resync)
include Drve sync servers within all my sites (backup)

Needs to know:
Syno Drive has trouble when it’s UNIX/ACL permission will fight with older Shared folders (historically created with DSM 5.0) w/o ACL. It’s just a marginal issue.

Upvote 0
Hi,

My experience is mostly on the iPad using Numbers, Pages and Keynote.

Using it in “online” mode is fine and I like it so far.
My experience with offline access is not positive. I didn’t give it a lot of time (and thought). I just couldn’t understand it.

For example, for Numbers, I have Drive listed under Locations on the left pain on my iPad. If I tap on it (while connected to the internet), it shows my folders and files that are saved there (on my DiskStation) and that’s how I work with them. So far so good.

However, if I launch the Drive app and go to one of those Numbers files and mark it for “offline access”, disconnect from the internet, go to Numbers, go to Drive under Locations (where I expect to see the file), Numbers says “content unavailable”!
But if I go to the Drive app, I can tap on the file and view it while Numbers cannot “see” it. That’s not of much use to me.

So what’s the use of “offline access”. I don’t know! I suggest that you thoroughly test this functionality if it’s important to you.

And it seems I’m not the only one.

Upvote 0
answer for this is easy. But it’s necessary to understand app topology dependencies

Drive side:
1. when you like define some content as off-line you need Drive and Internet connection first. No doubt. Without such connection you can’t be in touch wit your Drive server.
2. you can select each content what you like as off-line - to be available anywhere w/o connection
Done

iOS part
1. e.g. Numbers app in off-line stage (valid for each Apps)
your offline content isn’t available trough Files or whatever sessions, because they require active connection into Drive = they need internet. It’s defined by iOS.
But your off-line content is still available by Drive/Off line folder. Check it pls. Works for me many years (also with Syno Cloud before).

Same situation is for Google Drive, MS OD, Dropbox, ...
This is not bug, this is defined by Apple.

Upvote 0
However, if I launch the Drive app and go to one of those Numbers files and mark it for “offline access”, disconnect from the internet, go to Numbers, go to Drive under Locations (where I expect to see the file), Numbers says “content unavailable”!
On-demand sync for mac side of Drive is still coming, I think this will work fine when they implement it.

Upvote 0
all desktop Drive clients (Win, Mac, Lnx) work well with complete Drive structure available also in off-line (no need define what must be off-line). Except mentioned useful feature of Drive: on demand sync for MacOS. What is OK, because it's a sync and for the sync service you need internet by definition.

Conclusion:
1. when you need off-line access to your Syno Drive content from iOS = use primary Syno Drive App/Offline content

2. when you need in iOS (during off-line stage) create new content and save into Drive = no way (same for all cloud based services), based on iOS itself.

3. when you need complex off-line access to your Syno Drive content from MacOS = no limitations for all previously synced content or for new content created and stored into

4. when you need on-demand content available from the Drive server (what isn't offline service) you need to be connected into Drive server by definition.

Doesn't matter what kind of App in your iOS (Mac office, MS office, Acrobat, MS Power BI, ...) all works well for me in last iOS version with Syno Drive collaboration.

I hope it's clear enough now.

Upvote 0
in this case it’s about Apple, specific Apple Files operation:
1. here is an orchestration of all external sites (Google Drive, Syno Drive,....)
2. all such external sites needs credentials
3. and Apple seems to be use such credential anytime when you can Save in by Files.
Tested with all Clouds. Confirmed.

I am a frequent critic of unfinished or inappropriately set up Syno packages. But this “feature” is controlled by Apple.
Just Apple can confirm if such operation is desired state for a support of Apple iCloud subscription revenues.

Sometimes is better to try a few simple tests as base of a conclusion.
Redit is for me an environment for lazy people.

Upvote 0
I guess it’s part of being inside the Walled Garden :)

Sometimes is better to try a few simple tests as base of a conclusion.
Redit is for me an environment for lazy people.
Not everyone knows how to do the “simple tests” that’s why they (we) ask.
Like everywhere else, there’s good and bad on Reddit. But I wouldn’t call it “for lazy people” :)

Upvote 0
simple test:
1. during offline: is the behavior same for every single my cloud targets attached in my File App?
Then probably problem isn’t in the cloud target.

1609405481799.jpeg

or there is another kind of “pro grade” way to test something (just for a fun):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

pls don’t try it!

Upvote 0
all desktop Drive clients (Win, Mac, Lnx) work well with complete Drive structure available also in off-line (no need define what must be off-line). Except mentioned useful feature of Drive: on demand sync for MacOS. What is OK, because it's a sync and for the sync service you need internet by definition.

Conclusion:
1. when you need off-line access to your Syno Drive content from iOS = use primary Syno Drive App/Offline content

2. when you need in iOS (during off-line stage) create new content and save into Drive = no way (same for all cloud based services), based on iOS itself.

3. when you need complex off-line access to your Syno Drive content from MacOS = no limitations for all previously synced content or for new content created and stored into

4. when you need on-demand content available from the Drive server (what isn't offline service) you need to be connected into Drive server by definition.

Doesn't matter what kind of App in your iOS (Mac office, MS office, Acrobat, MS Power BI, ...) all works well for me in last iOS version with Syno Drive collaboration.

I hope it's clear enough now.

No, it’s not clear at all. I appreciate any advice but I don’t understand most of your terminology here.
1. No idea what you mean
2. Sounds like anything I want to access in offline mode needs to be created on IOS?? Not very useful.
3. Not bothered by macOS access. Macs are always online
4. Yes, so? Its offline access (and how it works) that I’m interested in.

it was previously suggested that I should test the functionality. I would if I could but since Synology says I can’t revert to Cloudstation after installing Drive, testing first isn’t an option. It’s why I’ve posted here.

Upvote 0
Just read again my post in one way, from beginning to end.

then try to open (parallel) official Syno KB for Drive (iOS):

Here you can find all used keywords explained. Include screenshots.
Then you can prepare questions again.

To be sure
Off line access we can split to two different point of view:
- off line for a reading purpose = w/o sync of possible editing when you get on-line

- off-line with automated sync after editing when you get on-line

Both is possible. Both use different approach.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.