DSM 7.1 Advise on how to run or set up a container that needs extra command instructions

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Advise on how to run or set up a container that needs extra command instructions

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi,
Trying to set up a container on my new DS220+
got a few others running but I had instructions to follow & just folders & the odd file.

As Synology docker is mostly GUI i wondered if anyone could advise how I could interpret the instructions for use on the NAS

docker run --rm -t -p 8080:8080 -v license:/license \ -e TOKEN=4805bee*********** -e LICENSE_KEY=AX******** \ platerecognizer/alpr

What folders &/or any files should create & and what to enter for mount.
I have tried dozens of different combinations all day but just cannot get it to work, is rather trial & error though!

Tried some in the Advanced/Execution Command, but again no luck, this usually error even before it tries to run the container so guess got completely wrong.

Sorry to ask a little premature but getting no where.

Thanks I/A

If I had one bit of advice it would be to use Portainer and use stacks/docker compose. There's a slight learning curve but it's so much easier once you get the hang of it

Upvote 0
Last edited:
It is realy not complicated to translater container arguments to Synology UI settings.

Here is what each argument means:
-p: left hand side before the colon is the host port, which will be mapped to the container port on the right hand side of the collon.

-v: left hand side before the colon is the a volume or path on the host, right hand side is the path inside the container. Your example used a volume, but you can usualy replace it with a host path instead (the minority of images actualy require volumes due to terrible image design).

-e: the left hand side before the equal sign is the key, the right hand side after the equal sign it's value. Always use keys like you find them in the image's description.

Here is where you find the setting in "Advanced Setting" when launching a container from an image:

-p: tab "Port Settings". The host side is called "Local Port" and has the value "Auto" by default.. change it to whatever port you want map from the host to the container, the container side is called "Container Port" and should be pre-populated. If not, check the image description for suggested ports.

-v: tab "Volume". The host side called "File/Folder" has a file picker popup that allows to select a share or any of its subfolders. By clicking "Add Folder" - you can create folders from within that popup. Whatever you pick will be the host side of the volume mapping.. The container side is called "Mount Path", which should be pre-populated. If not, check the image description for suggested container paths to be used as volumes.

-e: tab "Environment". You find pre-populated pairs of variables and their values. Lookup the image description and identify wether you have to modify the value of a pre-populated par or have to add a new key and value.

You can find the same tabs in the popup that opens when you click "edit" for an existing, but stopped (otherwise edit will be grayed out) container. The usage is the same like when launchin a new container from an image.

Hope it helps!

In case you encouter problem, please share screenshots of how you configured those particular tabs AND parts of the logs that indicate errors.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.