After improper shutdown, NAS writing constantly 24 hours +

Currently reading
After improper shutdown, NAS writing constantly 24 hours +

NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. Windows
2 days ago, when I shut down my NAS DS923+ using the power button, I noticed that it appeared to shut down immediately like a power loss rather than the normal shutdown which usually takes a minute. The next day, when I rebooted it, it sent me an email saying that it had experienced an improper shutdown.

Ever since, the thing has been writing non-stop at approx 500kb/s. This has been going on 24 hours. I've never seen this behavior before. I assume it is fixing something but I do not know what. It has 4 16tb drives which all are healthy, 2 2tb SSDs for caching. the 4 HDDs are set up as RAID 10. I have a lot of PCs backed up here along with some photos and similar stuff. This is my first NAS set up in 4/23 so I am a noob.

Any ideas?

So I shut the NAS down about an hour ago (properly this time.) I waited about 5 minutes and then rebooted it. It came back up, made a little bit of ordinary noise... and now it is quiet as a mouse. In fact it just went to sleep...

I have no idea why it did what it did for the last 24 hours, but it appears to be fine now.

Upvote 0
Yes I believe that is what happened... I think I must have held it too long causing an immediate improper shutdown.

Upvote 0
Yes I believe that is what happened... I think I must have held it too long causing an immediate improper shutdown.
sounds like it and it was checking data when it came back up. Happened to me once. A quick push , a beep and then no lights after 5 mins or so is the right way, Sounds like you got it figured out.

Upvote 0
I spoke too soon. After updating my DSM software earlier today, everything still appeared to be fine. However about 1/2 hour ago, it started doing it again.

This time I went into the task manager and figured out that 2 of the services were doing it...

synoscgi - approx 13kb/s at random times

synosnmpcd - 700kb/s also randomly

Even though the times are random... they are also regular hence the constant writing noise and flashing LEDs from the drives.

Searching these two in DSM Help returns nothing...

Rebooting stopped it for now, but I suspect it will restart.

Upvote 0
This has been going on for two days straight without stopping. It did a scheduled backup at 1:30am this morning and then went right back to writing...

The program doing it is 'synosnmpcd'

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.