Threat Prevention After W10 Home Update, New IP Had to be added as a 'Do Nothing' Self Defined Rule in TP

Currently reading
Threat Prevention After W10 Home Update, New IP Had to be added as a 'Do Nothing' Self Defined Rule in TP

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Did a Windows 10 Home Update today on a HP Pavilion Laptop, and after finished, noticed I had Internet Access, but the icon at bottom right said No Internet Access...

Found a new IP Microsoft is using to determine this..... 13.107.4.52 Added new "Do Nothing" rule for this IP.... and a few seconds after that, icon at bottom right of laptop changed to "Internet Access"...

I did this a couple months ago on this same laptop.... Could be they changed IP's ??

FYI

Found a new IP Microsoft is using to determine this..... 13.107.4.52 Added new "Do Nothing" rule for this IP.... and a few seconds after that, icon at bottom right of laptop changed to "Internet Access"...
The nuisance of Windows 😐

Needless to say, I didn’t understand any of that and why do you need to do it :)
May the force be with you.

I experienced the same with all the Windows 10 clients om my networks one day.

Or just set 'Do Nothing' or 'Alert' action for the "ET INFO Microsoft Connection Test" rule?
Exactly this I did indeed.

The nuisance of Windows
This Internet check thing is just sloppy/lazy piece of coding within Microsoft...

If you look in the signature details it mentions 'www.msftconnecttest.com'. Dig and nslookup show that this is resolved via a geo-location and load-balancing (ncsi-geo.trafficmanager.net). That means that it is most likely using your request IP to determine which is the best IP to give back, probably from a pool of IP. This 'issue' definitely falls into my "life's too short" category.

Bash:
$ nslookup www.msftconnecttest.com
Server:        <....>
Address:    <....>

Non-authoritative answer:
www.msftconnecttest.com    canonical name = ncsi-geo.trafficmanager.net.
ncsi-geo.trafficmanager.net    canonical name = v4ncsi.msedge.net.
v4ncsi.msedge.net    canonical name = ncsi.4-c-0003.c-msedge.net.
ncsi.4-c-0003.c-msedge.net    canonical name = 4-c-0003.c-msedge.net.
Name:    4-c-0003.c-msedge.net
Address: 13.107.4.52

Bash:
$ dig www.msftconnecttest.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.msftconnecttest.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 1481
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 27

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.msftconnecttest.com.    IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.msftconnecttest.com. 1886    IN    CNAME    ncsi-geo.trafficmanager.net.
ncsi-geo.trafficmanager.net. 3600 IN    CNAME    v4ncsi.msedge.net.
v4ncsi.msedge.net.    58    IN    CNAME    ncsi.4-c-0003.c-msedge.net.
ncsi.4-c-0003.c-msedge.net. 36    IN    CNAME    4-c-0003.c-msedge.net.
4-c-0003.c-msedge.net.    42    IN    A    13.107.4.52

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
<....>

this IP/domain is used by MS for a connection troubleshoot purpose = this isn’t a fail, it’s a regular feature for less experienced who needs wizards for the troubleshooting.
Must say, tuned Win 10 with integrated WLS is really useful OS.

This was first reported to me by a neighbor with RT2600ac... He saw it on his surface. Fixed that with their W10 laptop, which flagged a different IP... both fixed, Neighbor happy..... Then saw it at home on W7 & 10 Pro. Fixed. Today a new IP..
It is always confusing to see 'No Internet' -- while your surfing the web..... I see no reason to leave it alone when it does nothing but cause confusion... There is enough of that going around anyway.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.