Currently reading
Albums in Synology Photos problem

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
I've been playing around with "Synology Photos" a bit and creating albums. But I can't seem to filter it in a decent way.. I've got my regular photos + alot of scanned photos in my /photos/ folder (but in different subfolders) and the timeline looks really strange when browsing the albums since all photos gets mixed (photos captured yesterday next to my scanned photos of myself as a kid besides it..).
Is there a clever way of solving this?

I think this is a bug in Moments that has been carried over to Synology Photos, originally seen in the Moments Shared Photo Library as follows

unless a video has a certain XMP tag then Moments will look to the modification date not the creation date when ordering those videos after a copy event - and that the modification datetime will be the copy event datetime.

I imagine that if you check, all your photos now share the same modification datetime and it is this not the creation datetime that Photos is ordering off in the timeline view

So, if you copy several months of videos or photos that lack this tag from your User Library to the Shared Library, then in the Shared Library timeline view they will ALL be timestamped with the copy datetime', and therefore not ordered any more, unless the following tag is present
  • all videos :
  • XMP.video.Date.UTC
  • (In UTC %Year:%Month:%Date:%Time format)

• quicktime videos :
  • Xmp.xmp.com.apple.quicktime.creationdate
So that leads to 2 questions

1) where can one find this Tag? Synology support tells me that some of my videos have it, and some don't, but can't explain to me where to find it

2) if one finds the Tag, can one edit it? Can one bulk edit lots at the same time?

update, Synology support state as follows:

(1) The necessary tag for timeline ordering for videos is [Xmp.video.DateUTC]. Moments uses exiv2 to check metadata.

(2) if the User finds a method to add the correct tag to the video, then Moments should display the tag instead of mtime (the tag created when copying the video from the User library to the Shared library).

(3) Same behavior with Synology Photos. Same supported tags for Synology Photos.

(4) This is the expected behavior of the current design - it is not a bug. We've sent feedback on this to the product team, they will have further study on it.

sigh

my use case was for different family members to copy selected photos and videos to the Shared Library, and for this Library to show a blended timeline view. Clearly, not going to happen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.