All services slow to load/do not load outside of network

Currently reading
All services slow to load/do not load outside of network

I have an 1821+ and recently, all external hosting is extremely slow. Not just self-hosted websites, but synology apps i.e audio and video station. The syno has dual SFP+ LAG to a switch which has a SFP+ to the router and I have 1Gbps synchronous. When I first set things up, it worked beautifully from external connections but in the past two weeks, audio station will load a large black circle and the login input only. I have to Ctrl+F5 a few times before the page loads. The same for any hosted sites. I cannot seem to find any solution to this.

Any ideas of what I can do to speed up the connection?

Thank you for the reply. I cleared SMB cache and still got slow to no load. As for bottlenecks, I tried that by opening an in network tab and watching resource monitor while opening a different browser and attempting to access from outside the network. The resource monitor sees a spike in volume usage and while platters are slow, they are not that slow. I should mention both m.2 slots have 1tb cache drives on the same volume as the web and I upgraded ram to 32 as well.

I would check your LAN, it may be something else than the NAS. best to simplify, and check starting with the simplest connection you have. like ethernet cable to te router and start checking from there.

according to my isp, Verizon, they do not cap data. Everything was working well and then it just stopped. The only change was I upgraded my network cables from cat6 to cat8. The syno recognizes them both (nic ports). LACP is set up on the switch (Netgear MS510TXUP) and within the syno. The only software that has changed was I replaced the favicons with my own (and for that I updated to 7.2 beta to reset those back). As for shortest distance, I disconnected my syno from the switch and used a single wire from a built in port to the router and suffered the same results. Applications (audio/video station) would first complete on blank screen, then on refresh would show a large black circle with the login box at the bottom, and then after a few more attempts would load the rest of the page. Most websites (html 5, bootstrap 4, no database tables) require at least a refresh if not two to load. and external access to dsm (subdomain.domain.com) suffers the same as the app portals. The only app that loads nominally is the wiki.

I'm using MS510TX, so similar to your MS510TXUP, and have created a dynamic LACP LAG of the 4x1GbE to 4x 1GbE on a TP-Link managed switch. I'm currently using adaptive LAG on two ports of my DS1520+ to the TP-Link switch, and previously used dynamic LACP. So I'm saying that there is a similarity to your setup.

Things I would check:
  • Your new cables, are they recognised at full port speed? I recently received a dodgy Cat 6A cable that the MS510TX and RT6600ax reported as running at 100Mbps, a replacement fixed this and I now get reports of 2.5Gbps from both ends.
  • Test with your old cables to see if the issue still persists.
  • Revisit your switch's settings: I found I had to redo settings on the MS510TX, specifically VLAN and LAG. The web session may need a refresh to display the current settings (VLAN setup was particularly susceptible to not showing U [untagged] and T [tagged] for ports and LAGs).
  • NAS network setting: have you reserved the IP address(es) that you use, so no other LAN device is assigned them.
  • Check the router's firewall and port forwarding: are they still set to the NAS for the right ports?
I would ask if your NAS is falling back to being accessed via QuickConnect Relay service, but I'm not sure if it works with the other hosted web services you've added to the NAS. The relay service is slower than using a direct connection.

Thank you Fred for the suggestions. As stated earlier, I did resort to using a single 6A cable and my speeds did not improve. I will try another cable I have laying around and see if that helps anything but iperf did report connection between syno and pc at 9.5Gbps (pc has dual sfp+ NIC but in failover mode rather than LAG...stupid windows). I am not running any VLANS so I am not sure if that would apply to my case. Both the router and syno have the settings configured for static IP, they match and they are both set to LACP. The only port I have open on my router is 443 and everything is routed through Cloudflare. The router forwards all requests to the syno where I have set the Login Portal settings to custom sub-domain names which are configured in Cloudflare DNS. I am running an Asus AXE 16000 as well. So single fiber connection connected to 1 10G port, The other10G port goes to the switch (SFP+), which has my syno and all pcs connected using the switch ports.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back