Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Amazon just informed its users that they will be killing the Amazon Drive support via Hyper Backup and CloudSync tool.

9EA9A9D1-8592-442A-977F-02D473F20099.png

Last edited:
This was announced to third-party developers (Synology included) over eighteen months ago. Synology continued to "patch" their apps to defeat the blocks Amazon set. Now the day of reckoning has finally come to Synology.

Notably, in a move to garner more traffic to their lame C2 program, Synology is now offering free C2 access through March 2021.

Synology has you cornered

You have been warned.

Came here to post the same after seeing this from Amazon today. Had a nightly push to Amazon for my off-site backup. So, what are people doing instead? Google photos?

I’ve never used C2, and don’t know a lot about it. Does it not work well, or have a bad reputation?
You'll get varying opinions, but it is expensive, slow, and not so flexible. Additionally, it is solely for your NAS, so if you want to send your other devices backups to the cloud, the only way to do that is to have them reside on the NAS.

B2, Wasabi, Amazon Glacier... are all superior IMO.

You'll get varying opinions, but it is expensive, slow, and not so flexible. Additionally, it is solely for your NAS, so if you want to send your other devices backups to the cloud, the only way to do that is to have them reside on the NAS.

I agree but I still use only C2. The reason being is that all my data are on my NAS devices so those are the only ones that need backing up. But hopefully, with upcoming HybridShare in DSM7 we will have more room to use C2 for more than just a "backup bucket".

Thanks for the info. All of my data from all of my devices ends up on my 'main Synology', so that wouldn't put me off.

But I run offsite backups to another Synology at my parents', so don't really need this anyway.

C2 in Frankfurt (EU) is fast and cost effective for me

Speed of the cloud backup is based also on your Upload throughput (an examples in the table below):

1598534629364.png

what is important, you need to take into account max. "live" speed of your upload. Fortunately the upload speed is frequently near to max level of your product definition purchased from ISP.
Colorized results: in hours spent for the Transfer

From my side everything what takes >4 hours for single Backup task is unacceptable (yellow and red fields).
But each of us has different business/cost model and patience. What is also OK.

Also there is necessary level of bandwidth capacity in the C2 datacentre and utilization.

Last, but important point is - if you really need to backup every single file from your NAS to this kind of backup. You can save time an money.

While I like all the options it makes the selection process a bit challenging from a newbie's standpoint... like me. Still have not decided but it appears from my limited research that Backblaze is favored and gets positive reviews in most circles.

The proof of any backup strategy is in the restore pudding, as I (nor anyone else) have never said. That aside...

I'm not being a Synology marketeer here but I'd point to a couple of things that C2 does provide:
  • Plan 1: this is up to 1TB and the size only calculates live data. You can have up to 30 days (30 instances) of historical data points and the previous versions are 'free' storage.
  • Plan 2: any duplicated data is not counted multiple times, so think btrfs storage optimisation. But historical versions count in the storage calculation.
For my modest needs to protect our photos and important docs C2 Plan 1 works for me and is a reasonable price. If I was wanting to backup TB then BB B2 sounds very interesting, but I'll need a faster outbound link.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.