Currently reading
An Example of USB 3.0 2.5 GHz WiFi Interference

NAS
DS220J, DS420J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
For three years, my Honeywell (Resideo) WiFi thermostat worked great, then suddenly would not communicate to the WiFi App and reported a WiFi Radio Error. After two weeks of troubleshooting and always blaming the thermostat, we realized that the problem may be the 2600 Routers USB 3.0 interferance with 2.5 GHz WiFi the Thermostat uses.
The Thermostat would work from the app for a few minutes, then report WiFi Radio Error and not respond to the Resideo App, but the wall-mounted unit would still operate normally, It just could no longer be controlled by the app over WiFi.

After spending two weeks troubleshooting, working with Resideo Support (who were very helpful), and even replacing the thermostat with a new unit, the problem still occurred. We eventually realized it had to be the documented issue where USB 3.0 causes interference with 2.5 GHz WiFi. As the WiFi router (Synology 2600) uses a USB 3.0 port with a thumb drive to store security data, the router USB port, being so close to the WiFi antennas, was the interference source and caused the Honeywell thermostat WiFi to go offline (see picture). Due to this known issue, the router can be configured to downgrade the USB port to 2.0, eliminating the WiFi interference issue and after that, the Thermostat worked fine. I realized at this point that I had configured the router for USB 3.0 around the time the problems started to improve the write time to the USB drive.

I guess this is why the routers come with USB 3.0 disabled as the default.

Attachments

• usb2.jpg
    usb2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221012_203930.jpg
    20221012_203930.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
We had a similar issue with iRobots (2x Roomba 980’s)…. We had them prior to 2600. They connect via 2Ghz, and had already reached their final firmware. The moment I added USB for TP, Roomba’s had connection problems. I downshifted USB to USB2, and Roomba’s OK.

Fast forward ~8 months… I set USB back to USB3 to do a speed test, and forgot to set it back…. and Roomba’s did not complain!???
It’s been that way for ~6 months. Use both Roomba’s each week. Fine! ???

So since Roomba’s have not had firmware update, USB cable and SSD assembly is the same, but 2600, AND the iPhone, AND Roomba APP HAS HAD a few updates…..

All I can say is: Roomba’s now OK with 2Ghz WiFi control & 2600 & USB3 speeds

And I don’t know why!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.