DSM 7.1 DSM7.1 introduces new drive vendor-locking parameters

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 DSM7.1 introduces new drive vendor-locking parameters

Last edited:
Because statistics is a powerful tool that often creates illusions, without input data it is not possible to understand the essence of the resulting number. In this case: "-19% number of technical support cases".

Same for the +36% rate
growing them nicely so far it was just:
Through testing and optimizations, HAT5300 series HDD has been tuned to deliver up to 23% higher sustained sequential read performance3 in demanding multi-user environments.
maybe next year they will hit +63% :sneaky:

Same for the "downtime and RAID rebuild" fairy tales

you may remember Synology's funny statement about:
The HAT5300 has been tested for well over 300,000 hours on every storage platform we have released since 2017. Intensive tests and thousands of test cycles are designed to replicate datacenter environments and punishing 24/7 availability requirements.
source:

and my post about it:
300,000 hours / 1,000 HDDs / 20 NASes = 15 hours per single disk = 0.5 day only for each of them .... but they don't have such big-bay NASes
or
300,000 hours / 100 HDDs / 20 NASes = 150 hours per single disk = 6.25 days only for each of them .... changed in low time range or just 100 HDDs tested?
or
300,000 hours / 10 HDDs / 20 NASes = 1,500 hours per single disk = 62.5 days only for each of them .... not enough

or
they spent 300,000 hours for every single HDD in the test = 34 years for each ?

statistic outcome is a powerful weapon, until the moment when people start thinking about the math :geek:

cheap tricks for the inexperienced or blind followers
-- post merged: --

what has changed since the time of this post? (FEB/2021)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.