DSM 7.0 Another DSM7 regression: UPS

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Another DSM7 regression: UPS

This has to an increasingly rare example of Synology undoing all of one of its more unwelcome changes and restoring lost features. This has to be welcomed, should it not?
Maybe they saw Apple's response to Safari 15's new tabs and realised it is possible to do an about-face. Though I did get a reply to a Support ticket saying that they were actually looking into the UPS changes.

@Rusty I have a similar setup to you but I now intend to move my main NAS over to DSM7 in the weeks to come, now that full UPS support is back and directly supported by Synology.

This has to an increasingly rare example of Synology undoing all of one of its more unwelcome changes and restoring lost features. This has to be welcomed, should it not?
Be aware that nothing has changed under the hood. Unless you have an Omron UPS, no shutdown (unless the battery runs down and the UPS shuts itself off). And if you set a timer, the script still has the wrong timer name. They may have changed the GUI, but not the scripts.

Phil (DSM 7.0.1-42218)

@DickBlonov Are you sure and have you tested a DSM7 UPS server with a DSM7 UPS client?

Could the script just be an unused artifact now that NUT is being used in its default state?

☕
@Robbie , I tested the server part. Synology does use the default NUT structure. upssched.conf gets modified by the GUI (you can validate by changing the timer value; it will be reflected in upssched.conf):
Bash:
AT ONBATT * START-TIMER waittimeup 900

If you look at upsmon.conf, the NOTIFYCMD is clearly defined as /usr/syno/bin/synoups. These files have not changed in DSM 7.0.1-42218. They are the same as in DSM 7.0-41890. I plan on moving my UPS to my other server (Ubuntu) and configure my Syno NAS as a slave. Then I know things will work properly (y)

Phil

Hi, Robbie thank you!

Yes only recently after upgrading my NAS to the latest DSM 7.1 version my Eaton USB UPS no longer powers off
after a specified time. Normally I would set the shutdown timer to 4 minutes after the NAS need to shutdown and power off the UPS.

Now my UPS will run for more or less 1 hour until it gets to the low battery signal and then only power off the NAS and UPS.

I've not tried mine (set to 3 minutes then power-down 3 other systems then the NAS) but the NUT settings do not look promising:

Code:
Rob@Rivendell:~$ upsc ups@rivendell
Init SSL without certificate database
battery.capacity: 9.00
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 20
battery.charge.restart: 20
battery.charger.status: resting
battery.energysave: no
battery.energysave.delay: 300
battery.energysave.load: 5
battery.protection: yes
battery.runtime: 945
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 13.1
battery.voltage.nominal: 12
device.mfr: EATON
device.model: 5P 650
device.serial: G114L50xxx
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 5
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: DSM7-1-42464-211216
driver.version.data: MGE HID 1.39
driver.version.internal: 0.41
input.current: 1.10
input.frequency: 50.0
input.frequency.extended: no
input.frequency.nominal: 50
input.sensitivity: normal
input.transfer.boost.low: 192
input.transfer.high: 294
input.transfer.low: 167
input.transfer.trim.high: 276
input.voltage: 242.5
input.voltage.extended: no
input.voltage.nominal: 230
outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low: 0
outlet.1.delay.shutdown: 65535
outlet.1.delay.start: 10
outlet.1.desc: PowerShare Outlet 1
outlet.1.id: 1
outlet.1.status: on
outlet.1.switchable: yes
outlet.2.autoswitch.charge.low: 0
outlet.2.delay.shutdown: 65535
outlet.2.delay.start: 10
outlet.2.desc: PowerShare Outlet 2
outlet.2.id: 2
outlet.2.status: on
outlet.2.switchable: yes
outlet.desc: Main Outlet
outlet.id: 0
outlet.switchable: no
output.current: 1.00
output.frequency: 50.0
output.frequency.nominal: 50
output.powerfactor: 0.46
output.voltage: 242.5
output.voltage.nominal: 240
ups.beeper.status: disabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.efficiency: 88
ups.firmware: 02.14.0026
ups.load: 37
ups.load.high: 105
ups.mfr: EATON
ups.model: 5P 650
ups.power: 243
ups.power.nominal: 650
ups.productid: ffff
ups.realpower: 113
ups.realpower.nominal: 420
ups.serial: G114L50095
ups.shutdown: enabled
ups.start.auto: yes
ups.start.battery: yes
ups.start.reboot: no
ups.status: OL
ups.test.interval: 2592000
ups.test.result: Done and passed
ups.timer.shutdown: 0
ups.timer.start: 0
ups.type: offline / line interactive
ups.vendorid: 0463
Rob@Rivendell:~$

Bummer.

☕

Color me simple-minded, but I am confused. You said that when you tweaked the files, and pulled the power,

Then you added that

Do the tweaked files work or not?
Color me simple-minded, but I am confused. You said that when you tweaked the files, and pulled the power,

Then you added that

Do the tweaked files work or not?
This does sound confusing. Apologies.

The tweaked files worked perfectly.

My comment about "upsmon -c fsd" was in response to a different post and I should not have included it.
-- post merged: --

pinging @DickBlonov ... Maybe he's had a peak at this latest Synology debacle.
I upgraded to DSM 7.1-42661 and the UPS power outage behavior still works for me.

One of the tweaks earlier in this thread I still have and it was not overwritten with the upgrade.

Ensure you have this in /etc/ups/upssched.conf:

# AT ONLINE * CANCEL-TIMER fsd # remarked this line out (if you have it)
AT ONLINE * CANCEL-TIMER waittimeup online # add this line if you do not have it

Beside that, all I did under Control Panel, Hardware & Power, UPS, was to check the box that says "Shut down UPS when system enters Standby Mode"

1650546873661.png

I had a look around at my settings and under DSM 7.1-42661 the latest default settings in /etc/ups/upssched.conf are now identical to those in the 'tweak' proposed earlier on this thread, so no change required in that file.

The settings under /usr/syno/bin/synoups do have one difference to that of the original tweak with the first UPSSafeShutdown=0 still set as the default, rather than UPSSafeShutdown=1.

So default settings of:

Code:
UPSSafeShutdown=`/bin/get_key_value $SYNOUPS_CONF ups_safeshutdown`
case "${UPSSafeShutdown}" in
[Nn][Oo])
    UPSSafeShutdown=0;;
[Yy][Ee][Ss])
    UPSSafeShutdown=1;;
*)
    UPSSafeShutdown=0;;
esac

Should be edited to read:

Code:
UPSSafeShutdown=`/bin/get_key_value $SYNOUPS_CONF ups_safeshutdown`
case "${UPSSafeShutdown}" in
[Nn][Oo])
    UPSSafeShutdown=1;;
[Yy][Ee][Ss])
    UPSSafeShutdown=1;;
*)
    UPSSafeShutdown=0;;
esac

No opportunity for live testing for me yet but it should work.

☕

I'm currently playing with the container version of NUT, where I could cut off the dependence on the NUT deployment from Synology. The only problem (my Eth connected UPS) is a snmp-ups driver (near finishing the solution). As a result, the UPS connected to the NAS via USB or Ethernet will be controlled via this container, and the localhost will only serve as a "stupid" NUT client for the safe shutdown or wake on. OFC NUT server will be running from the container for entire connected devices (LAN).
All the NUT config files will be mounted = customised as you wish, and kept within safe boundaries no matter the Syno upgrade of DSM. Same for the custom scripts.

Reason:
Currently, it happens to me that even in the latest DSM 6.x version, the snmp-ups driver does not occasionally load properly, and thus the communication for the NUT daemon and subsequently also for the NUT monitoring fails. Nothing like this happened in previous versions, as is customary for the Syno approach.
Incl. your reason
+ the previous thread from 2020:

... a little patience

Last edited:
Beside that, all I did under Control Panel, Hardware & Power, UPS, was to check the box that says "Shut down UPS when system enters Standby Mode"

where did you get that setting though as that’s the whole issue, it’s missing in DSM 7?
I’m running DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 and don’t have that setting any more.

687AFCBA-2148-4CDE-8734-2150C32C8C16.jpeg

I've contacted Synology support and waiting on an update now. I am thinking of moving my UPS to a Linux NUT server. OpenWRT with USB support is also an option

pinging @DickBlonov ... Maybe he's had a peak at this latest Synology debacle.
Late to the show :)

/usr/syno/etc/ups/synoups.conf with the latest 7.1-42661 Update 2 (ticked the shutdown UPS box):

Bash:
ups_enabled="yes"
ups_mode="usb"
ups_safeshutdown="yes"
ups_acl="192.168.10.202|192.168.10.213||||"
ups_wait_time="300"

The shutdown UPS options is back and working.
Phil

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.