NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am getting sick of surfing through settings and options trying to find why I cannot achieve what I want. Grrrr!

I have a 923+ and want to use it to store my RAW files on to edit with Lightroom on my Mac Book. The catalog files are in Synology Drive and seen by LR as local so good. The media files are in an SMB share which can also be seen by LR.

My issue is that I have the missing files icon on all my folders and files and when I navigate to the NAS, which it can see, it always says 'Invalid file path'

Please help me from not throwing my Mac in the trash and setting fire to my NAS!!

Assuming you switched off afp on both ends and started with a fresh setup.
Which MAcOS is present ?
There have been many SMB issues with mac, but these seem to be solved now.

Assuming you switched off afp on both ends and started with a fresh setup.
Which MAcOS is present ?
There have been many SMB issues with mac, but these seem to be solved now.
Thanks for the quick reply.

1. What is afp and how do I switch it off both sides?

2. I just upgraded to Ventura. It's a 2019 16" Mac Book Pro I just bought used.

3. What do you mean by fresh setup? I migrated from my local disks on a Windows laptop to my new NAS then setup my new Mac Book to edit in LR using the same catalog file.

4. I can see the NAS folders in Finder and also in LR but the path seems to be invalid when I navigate in the 'find missing Folder' box.

Cheers,
Jim

Apple file protocol, a no longer supported file protocol replaced by SMB.
Fresh setup on the nas, like doing a 3 seconds reset gives default network settings.
Thanks,

Does a fresh setup delete all the data? If not, how do I do that?

The catalog files are in Synology Drive and seen by LR as local so good.
AFAIK, Lightroom doesn't like catalogue files stored other than locally. So, just to see if this is the issue, move your LR catalogue to your Mac's internal drive. See if that makes any odds.

AFAIK, Lightroom doesn't like catalogue files stored other than locally. So, just to see if this is the issue, move your LR catalogue to your Mac's internal drive. See if that makes any odds.
It's OK of the catalogue files are seen by the Mac as local but on Synology Drive. It worked well on my PC. It's the media files I can't link to, the photos themselves. The Catalogue opens fine but with the question mark icon on all photos and folders.

So now I'm getting nowhere.

1. I setup Synology Drive to sync my LR catalogue.

2. I mounted the home folder with SMB.

3. I now open LR and it closes saying there is an error.

4. So I download the catalogue files to my desktop, intending to direct it to the media files on the NAS.

5. I now get an 'Invalid path error' when I click on the relevant folder.

I'm getting to the stage now that I want to throw the bloody NAS in the bin and just use an external hard drive. This is not easy for noobs who know nothing about permissions or networking or shares etc.

WTF am I doing wrong here?

sorry for your frustration, shouldn't be that difficult. IMO this is more of a problem with the software than the NAS. do some research on shared folders and permissions and networking. Won't hurt.

Is the SMB share containing your media files mounted on your Mac when you open Lightroom?
Yes it is
-- post merged: --

It says 'invalid file path' but when I open LR it opens the catalog with the dreaded question mark next to the folders, meaning missing files.

When I go to find the missing files LR 'sees' the NAS folders but cannot link the catalog to them. How do I solve this?

Without any further details / screengrabs of your issue, we're just guessing.
If you have folders in LR that are showing as missing (they have a '?' question mark next to them in the folders list),
Right click on a folder(s) in LR and choose 'Find missing folder...'

If the whole NAS share is missing (greyed out in LR) then that suggests the NAS share itself isn't accessible and needs a different solution. We can advise further if this is the case.

Take a screen grab of the folders list in LR so we can see what state it's currently in and at what level the folders are inaccessible.

Without any further details / screengrabs of your issue, we're just guessing.
If you have folders in LR that are showing as missing (they have a '?' question mark next to them in the folders list),
Right click on a folder(s) in LR and choose 'Find missing folder...'

If the whole NAS share is missing (greyed out in LR) then that suggests the NAS share itself isn't accessible and needs a different solution. We can advise further if this is the case.

Take a screen grab of the folders list in LR so we can see what state it's currently in and at what level the folders are inaccessible.

I am aware of how to find missing photos and have tried unsuccessfully to do this.

The NAS share is not greyed out, I don't think.

I reinstalled the Mac OS client app and checked the correct sync folder and the catalogue files appeared in Finder.

Screenshots attached.

Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 12.56.16.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 12.56.16.png
    427 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 12.55.44.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 12.55.44.png
    667.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 12.55.00.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 12.55.00.png
    935.2 KB · Views: 23
Based on the 3rd screenshot, LR is looking for files in the 'Media' folder & its subfolders, and can't find them. The folders are greyed out and have '?' next to them.

Is the SMB share containing your media files mounted on your Mac when you open Lightroom?
Yes it is
You've said that your photos are all now on your NAS as per above, so right click the 'media' folder in LR and choose 'Find missing folder'. Point LR at the location of your photo folder(s) on the NAS.

When you have LR working correctly again, then you can proceed to backing up or syncing the LR catalogue to your NAS (or whatever it was you were trying to do with all this); but you've messed up LR and need to get this working again first.

Based on the 3rd screenshot, LR is looking for files in the 'Media' folder & its subfolders, and can't find them. The folders are greyed out and have '?' next to them.

You've said that your photos are all now on your NAS as per above, so right click the 'media' folder in LR and choose 'Find missing folder'. Point LR at the location of your photo folder(s) on the NAS.

When you have LR working correctly again, then you can proceed to backing up or syncing the LR catalogue to your NAS (or whatever it was you were trying to do with all this); but you've messed up LR and need to get this working again first.
Mate - I have done that. I am just screenshotting where I pointed LR at. The folder structure in LR was matched to the NAS folder, as I've done a million time spreviously. It just isn't connecting.
-- post merged: --

And this worked first time with my Windows 11 laptop.

Just to again clarify what I have done:

1. Copied my lightroom folders to the NAS via attached USB drive.

2. Placed the files in my personal folder. Permissions checked and have full read/ write access.

3. Setup Synology Drive. The LR catalogue is synced with my Mac (and PC beforehand).

4. Mounted the relevant NAS folders with SMB.

5. Opened the LR Catalogue in LR.

6. Attempted to fix missing photos as I have done many times previously.

7. No matter what I do I am getting the 'Invalid path' message.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.