Another level of NAS review - how to do it in wrong way by PCMag

Currently reading
Another level of NAS review - how to do it in wrong way by PCMag

NAS
Synology, TrueNAS
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
yesterday google advised me to read this article from pcmag.com. It is long time not interesting source for me, but the headline was “magnetic”: The Best NAS (Network Attached Storage) Devices for 2019.
When I take into consideration, that PCMag reviews are targeted to Mass market, specially for less experienced user, who are looking for an advice from “wisdoms”.
And here is the problem. The attitude of the PCMag is wrong and inadequate. Specially for people who take the advice from PCMag as strong trust source. This is not an attack to PCMag. This is just an attention to another wrong way how such media as PCMag doesn’t care about final achievement, just about next wrong article. This is the real reason why consumers lose their investments to technology, that doesn’t help them and then they’re confused.

Few pearls from the review:
1. PCMag: We've tested the top models to tell you which one will work best for your home or small business.
When you compare the PCMag NAS list with the last NAS SOHO Security findings, you will find, that PCMag try to recommend few hazardous if not dangerous equipments, specially for less experienced users (target group).

2. PCMag frequently CONS used - NAS does not come with hard drives.
I don’t think that diskless NAS is negative also for Mass market consumers. Specially when each of them have different amount of data “expectations” or usage scenarios. What is in contradiction with general wording from the article:
The "indie" NAS makers that aren't drive manufacturers, such as Synology and QNAP, are more likely to sell their NAS devices diskless, though they (or more accurately, their resellers) may also offer units pre-populated and configured with drives for shoppers' convenience.
What is missing for the target group from PCMag - a recommendation, that people in shop or some “gurus” can help them with accurate choice what disk they will need, what should be an added value of the NAS configuration, absolutely not the disadvantage. It is part of the article in - Which Drives to Use Inside Your NAS?

3. Redundancy education in part - Safe (storage) space: Let’s talk Redundancy
in this part is missing exactly mentioned point about JBOD - if you lose such disk, you’ll lose your data. I don’t have an expectation, that less experienced user will use backup. It is realistic point if view to this group target. Then why don’t educate them - backup your sensitive data?
Their statement, that Redundancy is - mainly of interest to business users that need to maximize both redundancy and data transfer rates. Is wrong.

this is just few items from the strange review. Of course the each device has direct link to Amazon.com. Target achieved.

PS: how many home users will utilize Asustor with 2x2.5Gbps Ethernet, include 5Gbos aggregation? Second - how many home users have switch with this kind of feature - port aggregation? One of editor choice added value. Don’t mention about different NAS with different drives comparison. Really bad approach from PCMag wisdoms. Then Redit and others channel are full of unsatisfied consumers.

what should be an added value of the NAS configuration, absolutely not the disadvantage
Agree. Then again why would someone want a prepopulated NAS? What if I wanna go all SSD in them?
I don’t have an expectation, that less experienced user will use backup
Would agree again. Also saying that RAID is "business" oriented only never made any sense to me. For example, I really don't wanna have my media streaming experience ruined by not having my data covered with raid considering that my time and energy is limited, and I really don't wanna waste days of restoring data. I want 30min of free time to be used right now for what I want. Period.

how many home users will utilize Asustor with 2x2.5Gbps Ethernet, include 5Gbos aggregation? Second - how many home users have switch with this kind of feature - port aggregation? One of editor choice added value. Don’t mention about different NAS with different drives comparison. Really bad approach from PCMag wisdoms. Then Redit and others channel are full of unsatisfied consumers.
Well even if we don't take in consideration the fact that more and more LAG supported switches are cheap and affordable, comparing a 2 bay J model with a 5bay + model is just wrong.

The main reason why I don't spend time on sites like this, especially when they are called PC Mag..$

this is a real picture of this civilization:
- many journalists don't have knowledge, but they are writing
- part of them don't have responsibility also, but editor doesn't care about it, because he doesn't understand it also
- many of less educated consumers are looking for a fast or immediate recommendation from journalists. They don't have a time for a preparation and they rather get an advice from journalist. Yeap - in this time - influencers.
- then people are buying every s**t
- then we have full highways.
really nice example of butterfly effect.

1569327177058.png

Hans Rosling wrote interesting book called Factfulness, if you need more interesting information. I like this guy who passed away 2y ago. Genial gift of data interpretation.
Partially is about this topic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.