Another Question on the Firewall Rule automatically deployed when firewall is enabled on NAS

Currently reading
Another Question on the Firewall Rule automatically deployed when firewall is enabled on NAS

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Automatically entered.jpg

So this is the rule that was entered automatically when I enabled firewall on my 720+... Up till now I've never really looked at it....
Now that I have, I see programs indicated that I'm not using....
I use DS FILE, DS CAM, and DRIVE on phones.... (Remote connect via QC address-No Ports forwarded) and DRIVE & Surveillance Station (and therfore NTP) on NAS...

I'm Not using: Audio Station
and I assume I want to keep File Station Management UI, and Download Station
And I haven't a clue on the others.....

I assume the duplicates are something in the program, as there is only one selection per in the rule...

I assume I can disable Audio Station cause I'm not doing any music serving.... Suggestions on the other's?

PS.. This automatically created rule in NAS Firewall is set to ALLOW.... Forgot to add that!

Thanks for your comments... (I'm still learning...!)
-- post merged: --

PPS.... This rule resides directly after the:

All Ports, All Protocol, Small Range of IP's on LAN= ALLOW

And directly after the automatically entered rule, another: All Ports, All Protocol, All Source IP's= DENY

It could be because QC defaults to direct connection if available (ports forwarded) and only uses the relay when it can't have a direct connection. I don’t know for sure. For optimal performance DDNS is faster.

I was on vacation in Venice and had to get at a document I knew was on one of the NAS’s.
It worked. Attached to email, and made a good profit on it. Worked fine! As did cameras attached to NAS, showing Neighbors attending to our pet parrot. Now If that wasn’t a remote connection, I don’t know what was!

So, I’m thinking that “no QC connection with firewall enabled” is totally bogus rule or it would have caused an issue sometime within the last 3 years!

It’s been working fine for years with that allow rule enabled. Maybe that’s the reason I’m having no problems with QC & Firewall, and I should leave well enough alone?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.