RT2600ac Another Velcro Modification.... To prevent "Dusting" problems!

Currently reading
RT2600ac Another Velcro Modification.... To prevent "Dusting" problems!

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
A month or so ago, during the 'Dusting' of the desk where 2600 & M.2 external SSD Drive resides.....

The external Drive assembly got 'bumped', and system locked up.... (Fortunately no damage)....

I've been resurrecting a dead 2600, and I decided to address the problem that occurred last month.... on this 'new' unit...

On the bottom of 2600 (Not ventilation area) where mounting would occur if legs did not prevent it, Placed Velcro Dots... Same on Drive Assy...

This lifts drive assembly off desktop, physically attaches drive to the 2600, and allows ventilation on all sides of drive assy, as it is lifted off the desktop by the legs of Router, and attached to the 2600... as one unit... DUST AWAY--I DON'T CARE!!!!

Note I'm experimenting with Metal Drive enclosure, and a Clip on Toroid on the USB3 cable, also... Not only does this tidy up that cable.... and may prevent the USB3 to 2.4 Interference also.

Pix of bottom of unit in a bit.....
-- post merged: --

Still awaiting SSD, as you can see… but here is how it will be connected!
F7BB4E5D-DAC4-4331-876C-47CB65134AD7.jpeg

Last edited:
SSD in. Acting fine
Did before @ After external EXT4 USB SSD Write Caching test: (With 160+ TP User Rules)
From TP ‘update now’ to ‘System Well Protected’ Write caching OFF: 4:20
From TP ‘update now’ to ‘System Well Protected’ Write caching ON: 3:50

Last edited:
"Restored" 2600 (Dead WAN Port: WAN=LAN1) Has Been on-line since yesterday AM... Everything fine... V1.3.1-1 SA & TP (160+ User Rules , limiting TP to LAN1=WAN), NO GUEST, NO VPN, DoH, Limiting 2 & 5 WIFI to 12 users each, Ext USB SSD as EXT4 with write caching ON... For TP & Logs. Same CPU & RAM % as first 2600 (With WAN=WAN): ~48% CPU & 54% RAM used... Measured with DS Router logged in after 5 min... (Everything here on UPS, with Whole house Surge & Generator).

Did same Velcro mod to Original 2600 with M.2SSD/USBV3 drive... Mounted below 2600 suspended in air. It's Now a Spare V1.3.1-1 2600 router "on the shelf". This allows me to be able to test new Router firmware when released, instead of waiting for a month or so, over firmware concerns because I've no spare router to fall back on!

PS: Even for the 2 days where both Unit's has USBV3 external drives attached at USBV3 Speeds..... In same room. I never saw any issues with 2.4Ghz WiFi units (iRobot 980's, Fire HD, Fitbit Versa's, or iPhones set at 2.4Ghz.).. Both ext drives are metal enclosures -- only 1 has clip on toroid though.... Because I didn't see any issues, I have no idea if toroid is needed... or overkill; But It does keep longer cables neat, though!
end of Project!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.