DS920+ DS215J,
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I recently upgraded my DS215J to HTTPS and also began reviewing my overall security when I got the Pop-Up that my "Admin" User was vulnerable and should be Disabled... After adding a separate User for my day to day ops, and Disabling the original ADMIN account I used the Security Advisor to check overall ops and it reported "GOOD"... No Issues.

I then wandered through some of the packages to see if anything new was added recently, and opened AV Essentials to see if anything had changed, and was surprised to see AVE definitions had not been updated in 4+ months. I manually tried multiple times to Update it, but it would just hang. I uninstalled AVE and still no joy. I tried changing some of the settings and still nothing. I logged a Ticket with Synology and I supplied the Remote "KEY" for them to access after the logs they requested showed they could not cure this with instructions to me.

I thought the Support KEY was all they needed to gain access, but they have come back to me asking for the Name and Password of a User account as they now need to access the File Station. I set up a separate User name and password for them. They've reported back that they are still working on "Rebuilding the Database".......

Has anyone else seen issues with there AVE and having current updates? And I need to let them know that the "Security Advisor" is not alerting the user that AVE is inoperative.

The AV essentials on a j-type is kind of a gimmick.
best to go for a commercial package as the low amount of memory is a real bottleneck, a scan takes for ever, seriously impacting your system.
It is free, and I do not complain, but the performance reflects the price.

This has happened before. At the time I rolled back to the previous AVE version. If you do this then you need the file with 'armada375' in its name.

On DS215j with DSM 7 beta and AVE v1.5.1-3053 a System Scan took 7 hours. I don't run it on a schedule as it's not an important NAS, for me.

Thanks for that.... It appears there was more threads on this topic than were returned when I searched. Synology has not asked me to rollback anything yet.... Maybe there will be a more thorough check this time as to the issues... I'll report back if and when its resolved...

Tech Support followed up on my questions... see below. AVE has now been running for almost 24 hours and is only at 65%... I have 2- 3TB Drives with 1.5 used in the hybrid RAID Mode. I'm pulling the plug on further use of AVE until they can do the hopeful updates.

Yes, it is a known issue that the AV package uses a lot of its CPU/Resources when running a scan. This will be addressed in future AV updates and DSM versions as well.

Some low-end models will take a bigger toll since those units don't have the specs needed to run without causing a big impact on the performance.

It is normal that AV is not listed in the Security Advisor, but I can submit a feature request to add it to the list?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.