Any Black Friday deals out there?

Currently reading
Any Black Friday deals out there?

Dad wants a setup similar to mine and we're going to get offsite backups setup at both places. If he wasn't going to get started I wouldn't be updating. The RS is going into a rack in the basement that has two fans that are almost as loud as my furnace. I'm not worried about the sound compared to the already existing fan noise, but thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Nice to see that he’s interested in all of this :)

Between the two of you, you’ll have a nice “show case” setup with all what you’ve done so far in networking between the houses and how you’re utilizing the DiskStations. The engineer in you is engineering :)

Edit:
Also consider SHR instead of RAID. It’ll make your life easy when expanding the capacity by replacing the disks with bigger ones as the need arises.

To be honest it got me thinking about the setup of the new systems and what I might want to do different when setting them up this time. I now have to research that and btrfs and a whole bunch more stuff. Just ordered networking books off amazon too so maybe I'll be able to start putting all this together in my head finally.

Sorry for my edit above. It went to the wrong thread. It was meant for @AlexS.
And I was wondering where did it go!

Thats the sign that I should shut down and go do something else before I do more damage :ROFLMAO:
Thanks WST16... You still under the bed ?
What country are you in ? I'm in Oz ?

I now have to research that and btrfs and a whole bunch more stuff
If you want to use some packages, e.g. Active Backup and Virtual Machine Manager, then btrfs is mandatory. I also suspect that Drive server's revisions database takes less storage though haven't researched this.

While Synology has a table for which to use I would move to btrfs (and will when I rebuild the DS218+) if possible, especially if you're not hammering the NAS then you're unlikely to notice any performance differences.
With a four+ bay NAS you can always add a ext4 storage pool if you really think it will make a difference.

Also consider SHR instead of RAID. It’ll make your life easy when expanding the capacity by replacing the disks with bigger ones as the need arises.
Just wanted to add to this. Do keep in mind that in time if you will migrate to some other RS models (especially some higher-end ones) you will NOT have SHR support on them. This might prevent you from migrating the drives from one device to the other, so just bear that in mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.