Any real-world benefits with 4kn HDDs for media server?

Currently reading
Any real-world benefits with 4kn HDDs for media server?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
First post here and apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum.

I'm about six weeks in with my new DS920+ that replaced an ancient LaCie single-spindle NAS solution at home.
Main use is as a media server plus backup of family's data from various laptops and PCs.
I'm running the Plex Synology app plus Radarr, Sonarr, Bazarr, NZBGet, NZBHydra2, and a PiHole server in docker containers.
Media content is mostly 720p or less and the DS920+ is currently populated with 2 x 4TB Seagate IronWolf drives populating an SHR1 volume in 512e mode (i.e. as they come out of the box).

I'll be replacing my ancient plasma TV with a new 4K HDR model soon'ish and my 4TB of usable space will need expansion as I upgrade the media library to 4K.
Initially looking to add a couple of 8 or 10TB drives to fill the empty bays, and then swap out the 4TB drives over a couple of months.

I'm wondering if there's likely to be any real-world benefit for my environment if I enable 4kn for the replacement drives.
I'm aware of the 512e/4kn mix and match limitations - I haven't thought this through fully yet but would likely create a new storage group with the 4kn drives and move content across.

Any pointers or insights welcomed

for any existing 4k HDR and all the possible acronyms related to this content you have two limitations in your case:
- TV and 100Mbps NIC = max throughput is about 12.5MBps
- movies mentioned in my beginning needs max bandwidth 70Mbps

then you need disk performance in max 12.5Mbps for large file movement within LAN, what is peanut for 30y old HDD based on IDE bus only

what is great, that you have clue about mixing of different disk geometry. Don’t mix it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back