Any Tailscale Users Here?

Currently reading
Any Tailscale Users Here?

Yes. I added each NAS with their tailscale IP in CMS, no problem.
snap2611.png

Upvote 1
But of course it did... Since I commented on it, one of the four disconnected today and I can't get it to reconnect over tailscale VPN. And while trying to reconnect the one, the other three CMS IPs "flipped" from tailscale IP to a local LAN IP. That was my fault I think, accidently used CMS from local IP instead of logging into it via tailscale IP.

Upvote 0
But of course it did... Since I commented on it, one of the four disconnected today and I can't get it to reconnect over tailscale VPN. And while trying to reconnect the one, the other three CMS IPs "flipped" from tailscale IP to a local LAN IP. That was my fault I think, accidently used CMS from local IP instead of logging into it via tailscale IP.
Well that stinks! I was hopeful you found the Holy Grail! 😊 It seems like CMS is destined to be a pain. I haven’t found a solution anywhere. Hoping in a future Tailscale or CMS release this will just go away and work. Thanks for the follow up!

Upvote 0
Working again. I remembered a step I stumbled across back in 2019, the link is below (it's the next to last post in thread). Basically, configure your TAILSCALE IP in Control Panel, External Access, Advanced and that helps, a lot. And, always browser access your master machine running CMS via it's tailscale IP.

See if that makes a difference for you.
Synology Community

Note: I'm running the most recent package from tailscale (1.30.2) vs the one in Synology Package store (1.22.2), I found slightly better hyperbackup performance with 1.30.2. Still seems slower than it should be, I'm cable modem 200D/20U here and remote location is also 200D/20U. Hyperbackup to remote NAS occasionally hits 7 MB/s but mostly stays in the 3-4 MB/s range. When I seeded the remote NASs here on same LAN, hyperbackup hits 110 MB/s. So, it's working for backups, but definitely no speed demon.

Manual tailscale install instructions can be found at Access Synology NAS from anywhere (about half way down the page).

My "complete install steps" are
SSH to tailscale IP of target
sudo mkdir -p /dev/net
sudo mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
sudo chmod 755 /dev/net (from Synology DSM7 Cant ping External (already ran steps) · Issue #4928 · tailscale/tailscale )
sudo chmod 0666 /dev/net/tun (test it with below)
DS1821:/$ ls -ld /dev/net
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Oct 24 12:57 /dev/net ( you want drwxr-xr-x vs drwx------ )

Manually the below, and as a boot script

sudo /var/packages/Tailscale/target/bin/tailscale configure-host
sudo synosystemctl restart pkgctl-Tailscale.service

Attachments

• snap2618.png
    snap2618.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 79
  • snap2619.png
    snap2619.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 1
Working again. I remembered a step I stumbled across back in 2019, the link is below (it's the next to last post in thread). Basically, configure your TAILSCALE IP in Control Panel, External Access, Advanced and that helps, a lot. And, always browser access your master machine running CMS via it's tailscale IP.

See if that makes a difference for you.
Synology Community

Note: I'm running the most recent package from tailscale (1.30.2) vs the one in Synology Package store (1.22.2), I found slightly better hyperbackup performance with 1.30.2. Still seems slower than it should be, I'm cable modem 200D/20U here and remote location is also 200D/20U. Hyperbackup to remote NAS occasionally hits 7 MB/s but mostly stays in the 3-4 MB/s range. When I seeded the remote NASs here on same LAN, hyperbackup hits 110 MB/s. So, it's working for backups, but definitely no speed demon.

Manual tailscale install instructions can be found at Access Synology NAS from anywhere (about half way down the page).

My "complete install steps" are
SSH to tailscale IP of target
sudo mkdir -p /dev/net
sudo mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
sudo chmod 755 /dev/net (from Synology DSM7 Cant ping External (already ran steps) · Issue #4928 · tailscale/tailscale )
sudo chmod 0666 /dev/net/tun (test it with below)
DS1821:/$ ls -ld /dev/net
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Oct 24 12:57 /dev/net ( you want drwxr-xr-x vs drwx------ )

Manually the below, and as a boot script

sudo /var/packages/Tailscale/target/bin/tailscale configure-host
sudo synosystemctl restart pkgctl-Tailscale.service
Very interesting! That’s something no one has suggested before! I will definitely give it a try today! I also used the Tailscale download instead of Synology’s, and agree, it’s not crazy fast on the Hyper Backup, but like you I attribute that to internet upload speed. Doesn’t bother me too much since most of the time there’s just small ~1gb or so in changes. For me the next backup will be interesting since I copied 10’s of thousands of photos to the required Synology Photos folder for the first time. Again thanks for the follow up, I think you’re on to something. If it works, Tailscale should add it to their install instructions. 👍🏻👍🏻

Upvote 0
Bummed 🙁… Tried Setting up External Access on the host NAS and when I tried to add the remote NAS I got this message, “Failed to connect to remote Synology product to CMS. Please check the network and firewall settings of the Synology product, or make sure the model is supported by CMS.” Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it’s being difficult. I set the external address to Tailscale IP on the REMOTE NASs, and primary 1821+ I didn’t put external on it, but always have to use the Tailscale IP address for all syno web consoles even on local segments or CMS can get confused. Sorry, traveling this weekend and back on Tuesday so that’s all I have to share until back home

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the reply while you’re busy traveling. That may be my problem since I was mistakenly putting the Remote external address on the Host instead of the other way around. I’ll try the reverse this weekend and let you know if I reach success. Be safe and have a great trip! 😊👍🏻

Upvote 0
Yeah, it’s being difficult. I set the external address to Tailscale IP on the REMOTE NASs, and primary 1821+ I didn’t put external on it, but always have to use the Tailscale IP address for all syno web consoles even on local segments or CMS can get confused. Sorry, traveling this weekend and back on Tuesday so that’s all I have to share until back home
Ugh … Didn’t work. I can’t believe I can’t get this to happen. 🤯

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Ugh … Didn’t work. I can’t believe I can’t get this to happen. 🤯

If you SSH into the tailscale IP of each NAS, can you successfully "sudo ping 100.x.x.x" the other NAS(s)? If not, then perhaps repeat the SSH commands as if re-installing tailscale and try the ping test again. The SSH commands I use were in thread Any Tailscale Users Here? Attached are what I see, successful pings from each NAS to each other NAS (just two shown) and CMS (installed only on DS-1821+) still working as expected using tailscale IPs for remote NASs.

Attachments

• snap2632.png
    snap2632.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 29
  • snap2630.png
    snap2630.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.