Any videocall OR web conferencing service available to run in Docker?

Currently reading
Any videocall OR web conferencing service available to run in Docker?

NAS
DS1618+, DS918+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi guys! Would you recommend some solution that would be able to serve for video calling (something like Google Meet, Skype, etc.) or video conferencing (more than just two people), running in Docker? If there would be an option for scheduling, creating an URL for the scheduled video conference meeting, and sharing it f.e. by email (manually copy/paste to an email client is OK for me), then even better.
Is this even possible to get this work without some and would the standard Synology NAS be capable to do it without any glitches and performance problems? My model is DS1618+ with 32 GB RAM, NVMe R/W cache plus I have the SSD in the last (6th) slot as a separate volume - so I believe that performance could be maybe sufficient if using let's say SD video quality.

Personally, I use Mattermost as a platform of choice when it comes to communication. It is supported on all major platforms, selfhosted as well on top of all.

Another benefit is that it has official marketplace with various plugins. By default since version 7, it support calls and screen sharing features that work really well, but no video calls.

But, with marketplace you can expand on it with support to integrirate MS Teams, Jitsi, or ZOOM or Skype for example into Mattermost UI and start making audio/video calls from a single app.

The plugins in some cases can be configured with other selfhosted solutions, like Jitsi, or simply pull in the option to use their free services, again, Jitsi as an example.

In the end, from a Mattermost channel, you can simply invoke the meeting, get a direct public URL to it (or URL to that particular channel and message), and you can protect who can access the meeting by limiting members of the channel for example.

1682666808887.png

This is one example how it looks like when you prepare a meeting with a single button. A full screen or overlay window will appear, leaving the chat windows open for further hybrid communitaion (video and texting for example).

Personally, I use Mattermost as a platform of choice when it comes to communication. It is supported on all major platforms, selfhosted as well on top of all.

Another benefit is that it has official marketplace with various plugins. By default since version 7, it support calls and screen sharing features that work really well, but no video calls.

But, with marketplace you can expand on it with support to integrirate MS Teams, Jitsi, or ZOOM or Skype for example into Mattermost UI and start making audio/video calls from a single app.

The plugins in some cases can be configured with other selfhosted solutions, like Jitsi, or simply pull in the option to use their free services, again, Jitsi as an example.

In the end, from a Mattermost channel, you can simply invoke the meeting, get a direct public URL to it (or URL to that particular channel and message), and you can protect who can access the meeting by limiting members of the channel for example.

View attachment 12610

This is one example how it looks like when you prepare a meeting with a single button. A full screen or overlay window will appear, leaving the chat windows open for further hybrid communitaion (video and texting for example).
Great, thanks Rusty! I will have to dig in a little bit to explore, how to implement it (and probably Jitsi as well). If it's not too complicated - I'm not a programmer at all, so I hope there is some step-by-step tutorial for it, if not even somewhere here in synoforum.
Btw. integrating with MS Teams, Skype etc. is a great option, if it can be done easily.

Great, thanks Rusty! I will have to dig in a little bit to explore, how to implement it (and probably Jitsi as well). If it's not too complicated - I'm not a programmer at all, so I hope there is some step-by-step tutorial for it, if not even somewhere here in synoforum.
Btw. integrating with MS Teams, Skype etc. is a great option, if it can be done easily.
Integration is done by using the predefined plugins and setting parameters, no coding needed.

1682667502884.png

1682667525982.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.