Anyone good with creating an Action Rule in Surveillance Station -- Need Direction

Currently reading
Anyone good with creating an Action Rule in Surveillance Station -- Need Direction

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I'm printing out info on ACTION RULES for Surveillance Station, and I know what I want to do, but have not yet found correct way to do it....

History:
Want to give access to camera pointing at a 'Road Switchback' on our HOA's Website... (Mountain Roads at times becomes Impassable... Want to post road conditions for others, so they can see present road conditions on their way here)..
Synology Support indicates I cannot do this (Video Link) without Port Forwarding in Router.... With the craziness going on with Ransomware right now, I am Not Willing to Port Forward anything in Router.

So my 'Plan B' would be to create an Action Rule in SS to take a picture and email (Or-URL?) it to someone else (not me), (OR-URL Link?) and then they would link that new picture into their website! (HOA Website Manager is contacting her support folks in this as I look into this at my end!)

A picture taken once an hour would be better than nothing on website... Camera is date and time stamped in the image.

So I'm printing out all info I can on Action Rules in SS.... and it appears that this might be possible, but I'm not entirely sure on the 'how to'

Is there anyone here that is good with creating Action Rules, and post helpful notes on the "How To" best proceed????
Thanks in Advance..

Last edited:
Update on this....
I have created an Action Rule, That takes Pix every 5 min of a specific camera, and saves it in Snapshot folder of SS.

I have also created a push service, and emails it....

EDIT: Unfortunately, its sending ALL SS CAMERAS Not just one... And only Motion Detected cameras.

I wanted to take one pix every 5-10 minutes of ONE CAMERA, and send it to an email....

I'm getting ALL CAMERAS -- But ONLY ON MOTION DETECT -- But it's pushing email fine!

From where I stand right now action rule has absolutely no connection with the push operation!

Last edited:
I'm posting again, because I've encountered an issue that I cannot find a fix for... and Support seems to be as un-familliar with this type of thing as I am... I will post multiple pics on this, and hopefully someone can post where I went wrong... (NAS is at 6.2.4 Update 5, SS current for V6)

What I want to do: Every 10 min, 24/7/365, I want to take a snapshot from one camera, and email it to two different people.

I created an Action Rule, and with regularity, every 10 minutes, a snapshot from the camera is placed in the SNAPSHOT FOLDER of SURVEILLANCE STATION FOLDER on NAS. SUCCESS!

I then Enabled PUSH in Notifications, and registered both emails, and subsequent test emails work... and that got ALL Cameras, under Motion Detect, to email... Not the approach I wanted.... So I filed a Support Request....

Support Guided me to RE-EDIT the Action Rule, to ADD the Action of email... Saved it, and IT EMAILED! BUT ONLY ONCE, then fell silent!

After a lot more tests, I find that under the following I can get the Action Rule to work ONCE... then fall silent:
REBOOT OF NAS; Disable then Enable of Action Rule; Changing Schedule settings & Save. Any of these 3 actions will have the Rule run successfully ONCE, then fall Silent.. If I delete the Rule, and re-build it a second or third time: Operation is identical: Snapshot taken every 10 min, but email only works once, then falls silent...

HISTORY of the RULE will show the action Start and finish when any of 3 actions listed above are done... However, History does not show any attempt after the first.

TO FURTHER CONFUSE ME: The SNAPSHOT folder in SURVEILLANCE STATION folder DOES CONTINUE to add a picture every 10 minutes, so that part of rule is working, just not email after snapshot adding!!!

Would you folks kindly look at these pictures and tell me where I went wrong with the Action Rule, and why the email part of the rule only runs one time, then falls silent?

Thank You!!!

Back and forth with Support... Here are the pics I took and sent....

Attachments

• history1.jpg
    history1.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Pixemail.jpg
    Pixemail.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 74
  • SCHEDULE.jpg
    SCHEDULE.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 65
  • PUSH.jpg
    PUSH.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Received this Today..... EDIT: (during the week I tested this.... I had left it run overnight a few times.... If I understand what he mentions in the reply correctly, I did NOT SEE any email once an hour... Just the one email, then it falls silent.)

Darn!

Hi @janj440

This is Tony from Synology responsible for Surveillance Station as a product manager.

Based on the current design, scheduling sends notifications only work when the activation status changes (from unscheduled to scheduled), and your configuration to run 24/7 means that the activation status does never change, so only one notification is sent.

Since the scheduling time interval is in 30-minute increments, you can configure the schedule to send notifications once an hour.

We have recorded your requirements and the team will evaluate the feasibility of "sending notifications by a set interval.

Kindly let me know if any questions. Thank you. :)

Best regards,

Tony

Last edited:
So….. At present we are at a stopping point. Snapshot of Camera works fine every (Whatever determined in Rule).. but email (Though it can be requested in a rule) cannot work but once, without a Software upgrade with that feature in subsequent Version of SS.
I have put in for a feature request for this, and replied to Tony at site where he posted his reply of that Feature Request Number, and my request to beta test it….

I also put in another feature request that one Action Rule be allowed to run a second Action Rule at a user specified time that could repeat. That would make Action Rules more powerful.

In meantime, website lady has alerted me that she has website ready for this ‘email of snapshot’ feature, and once I can automate the Snapshot AND EMAIL: it will be finished!

@Jan Janowski Hi - just a thought , but have you tried using Power automate tools within windows rather than through native synology? You can create a piece of logic that picks up teh file and does soemthing with it from the list of tasks. Thsi may serve until Synology do something within Synology platform?
Mike

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.