Anyone Using ioSafe (Synology-Based Fireproof/Waterproof NAS)?

Currently reading
Anyone Using ioSafe (Synology-Based Fireproof/Waterproof NAS)?

D

Deleted member 673

ioSafe offers a number of DAS and NAS that meet the following specifications: Fireproof: protects data from losses up to 1550 ° F for 1/2 hours per ASTM E119. Waterproof: protects data from loss up to 10ft for 72 hours. The two NAS models currently offered by ioSafe are based on Synology 218 and 1019+.

Has anyone on the forum worked with either of their NAS? And should their Synology-based models be included in the resources section of the forum?

I saw an incredible video of an older ioSafe product that was roasted on a charcoal grill for 1/2 an hour - then tossed into a pond of muddy water for a couple days. Of course, the enclosure was destroyed; but there was NO LOSS OF DATA on the HDDs when they were removed from their system.

Ron

sounds good for the first touch, but then:
- 2 399USD for disk-less box based on DS1019+
- included 2y Warranty and Data Recovery Service (DRS) or 5y extension for 900USD . Hm, when your disk will survive the fire in this box, why they need cost for recovery?
- or this box with 5 x 4TB HDD for 4 299 .... then single disk for 380USD, hm. Great deal for 4TB WD Red (in their tech spec)

My point:
- for such price you can purchase C2 cloud for many years and you don't need pay for any HW problems in such box

Yes of course, when you have really really bad internet connection, specially slow upload and you have some valuable data, you can purchase such box for a backup purpose only.

Appreciate your comments @jeyare. Seems like the cost justification for one of these devices would fit a fairly narrow set of circumstances where an offsite backup is either impractical or impossible. But it is a pretty amazing product line...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.