Currently reading
Info APC UPS; Heads Up re RJ45/USB Cables Availablity

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
If anyone is planning on buying an APC UPS in the near future, of the type which requires an RJ45/USB cable to auto-shutdown your Synology NAS, you might want to be aware of the following:

1. BAD NEWS - Apparently, APC no longer supplies these cables 'in the box' (at least in Europe, not sure about US and other locations). Their stated reason is "...To reduce electronic waste and protect the environment, USB cables are no longer shipped in every box. "

2. GOOD NEWS - But they can be requested, FOC, via their Tech.Support contact form (even got their own special request category!)

3. HHMM NEWS - But, as of today, these cables are out-of-stock until 3rd week in October (and that's an ETA, subject to change without notice)!

Some of the older models [allegedly] still supply the cable in-box (e.g. the [now discontinued] APC BE-700G ) but for current stuff such as the BE850G2-UK, you're out of luck until late October:(

Of course, you can still connect your NAS to the UPS, it's just that, until the cable arrives, if there's a power cut, you'll have to shutdown your NAS etc manually - assuming that you're around before the battery gives out! There are third-party versions of these cables (Ebay, Star Electronics, home-brew etc) but I've got no idea whether they'll actually work and, even if they do, good luck with trying to get support from Synology or APC if you have problems with their kit.

To say the least, irritating!

Thanks for the details.

I've two different APC UPS: the BE-700G with RJ45 to USB-A; the BX-950UI with USB-B to USB-A.

The BE did come with the monitoring cable, as you report, but I can't remember if the BX did. But the BX uses a standard USB peripheral cable (or standard until everything started using the mini and micro form-factors) and I've a box of cables :)

A pity that the BX isn't designed to have a user replaceable battery, well not without a lot of case disassembly.

Thanks for the details.

I've two different APC UPS: the BE-700G with RJ45 to USB-A; the BX-950UI with USB-B to USB-A.

The BE did come with the monitoring cable, as you report, but I can't remember if the BX did. But the BX uses a standard USB peripheral cable (or standard until everything started using the mini and micro form-factors) and I've a box of cables :)

Life would certainly be simpler if all the APC units used USB/USB but a brief look at the product lists suggests it's mainly the [more expensive] Smart units and their ilk which use this cable. The cheaper stuff (and, as a low-volume home user, that's all I need) still seems to rely on the RJ45/USB cable (no doubt, someone knows why). That being the case, it's a PITA that APC have allowed these cables to go out of stock after deciding not to put them in the boxes, anymore!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.