DS620slim, DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I posted this on syno community as well, but no reactions so far.

Can anybody suggest a workaround or fix for the fact that my new M1 Macbook pro and M1 Mac mini both crash (yes power button needed to revive) when I search my Synology shares from Finder app.
I just go in Finder and make a search via the search box. The moment I press the public share, it locks up. Even forced stop of Finder and restart is not working.

My old macbook late 2013, does still work (is on same big sur 11.2.3), it has always been working there after setting up universal search for the folders on the synology.

Apple support has been very helpful at first, but now claim that network share issues are not covered by consumer support and they cannot help, i was advised to take a 520Euro/year Apple care contract for business if I need further support :-(
Quite disappointing, as far as I can see there are many support docs on the apple site how to create a network share...
I asked them for proof about what is covered under their consumer support, but they refused to give that. As far as I am concerned, crashing Finder should be supported, also for consumers.

Would be great if you have a solution, I will probably not be alone.

I am a PC guy from way back so the MAC OS is not my area of expertise. I bought a M1 MAC MINI just to play with it after reading the reviews. I was curious about your post and booted up the M1, located finder and searced for a JPG that I knew was hiding out on the DS. It found it without crashing. I would guess that I have my DS mounted differently in the MAC OS, or I have a different protocol setting on my DS.

I will help you if I can, but I am not an IT guy and know little about the MAC OS which is new to me.

Paul

You should call apple support and let them in on your discovery. Tell them you would be happy to share but since that level of support requires a care contract for business, you require advance payment of €520 but that it also includes an Entire year of support!

As a dearly departed friend frequently said “every once in a while, even a blind squirrel finds the nut.” That sums up my technique of debugging issues such a this. I am glad I booted up the M1 and tried to replicate your problem.

Paul

Thanks to the blind squirrel!
I am now playing a bit with the settings of indexing on universal search. For the old mac, it was the only way to get searching done on the mac, so it comes as a surprise if it should be switched off now. but glad the crashes are now under control.
I understand that M1 comes with bugs, it is a massive step. I just would have appreciated if Apple support would just have said “ i looks like a bug, give us some time to solve it” .

I have to run some errands right now, but when I get back I think I will turn the index search on and see if it causes my M1 to crash. If it does not then there is a different issue at bay.

paul

Last edited:
I am indexing a bunch of photos. While that is occurring let me share these settings.

Control Panel | File Services | SMB
Enable SMB service - Check
Advanced Settings
  • Maximum SMB Protocol: SMB3
  • Minimum SMB Protocol: SMB1
  • Transport Encryption Mode: Auto
  • Enable Opportunistic locking - Check
  • Enable SMB2 lease - Check
  • Enable SMB durable handles - Check. ( that one is at the bottom of the options page, scroll down. )
AFP : Check

Control Panel | File Services | Advanced
  • Enable Bonjour service discovery - Check
  • Enable Bonjour printer broadcast - Check
  • Enable Bonjour Time Machine Broadcast via SMB - Check
  • Enable Windows Network Discovery via browsers - Check
  • enable windows network discovery to allow file access via SMB - Check

I am curious to see what you have and if it differs.

Paul
-- post merged: --

Photos have indexed. From my M1, it is slow to search for a particular file, but I tried a handful of things and the thing wouldn't crash.

my settings for SMB are almost the sames, but I do not allow SMB1 for security reasons.

AFP is disabled, as it is depreciated and gave all kinds of connection issues.
are your shares connected via AFP or SMB?

It is completely clear for me now, I can reproducible switch between crashes or not.

Once you create an indexed folder in Universal search, and search that folder via mac M1, it will crash, If I delete the index it wont. Recreating the index also brings back the crash. I will file the issue to both synology and apple.
Thanks a lot with your input, it put me on the right track right away.

So far I have been fine with the system, very fine to be honest.
These processors are very well suited for their task. 18 hours of battery life is double the time I had, really magic.

Today I did receive confirmation from synology helpdesk:

Thank you for contacting Synology support.

We use macOS 11.1 and 11.2 can reproduce the same problem, but not on 11.3 beta.
We can have some modifications on your NAS to eliminate the problem, or you can wait for macOS 11.3 to come out and upgrade to that macOS version.
If you want us to do the NAS modification, please provide us the remote session to your NAS.

So I will wait for the next macOs update.

So for the time being: no quick searching using Universal search if you own a mac with M1.

So that sounds like it's on the Mac side if Apple have done a fix. If the Synology fix is to tweak for < 11.3 releases then it may be worth it, but then you need to allow remote access to your NAS.

My view would be, if you can life with it, to wait for 11.3 and test that. The Synology fix is bound to be rolled up in the next point release of DSM.

I posted this on syno community as well, but no reactions so far.

Can anybody suggest a workaround or fix for the fact that my new M1 Macbook pro and M1 Mac mini both crash (yes power button needed to revive) when I search my Synology shares from Finder app.
I just go in Finder and make a search via the search box. The moment I press the public share, it locks up. Even forced stop of Finder and restart is not working.

My old macbook late 2013, does still work (is on same big sur 11.2.3), it has always been working there after setting up universal search for the folders on the synology.

Apple support has been very helpful at first, but now claim that network share issues are not covered by consumer support and they cannot help, i was advised to take a 520Euro/year Apple care contract for business if I need further support :-(
Quite disappointing, as far as I can see there are many support docs on the apple site how to create a network share...
I asked them for proof about what is covered under their consumer support, but they refused to give that. As far as I am concerned, crashing Finder should be supported, also for consumers.

Would be great if you have a solution, I will probably not be alone.

Ran into this with a friend who has one iMac that crashes every 10-20 minutes when connected to the Synology. Finally stumbled on the fix last week when I when into their configuration. DISABLE *AFP*. You can leave BONJOUR and SMB enabled. Then I reconnected to the NAS and 10 days later, no crashes. AFP is dead protocol. Avoid it.

I've had an M1 mini connected to Synology shares 24/7 since launch with zero issues. The Synology provides the bulk storage and file services for the M1, including media, Plex, Universal Search, DVR et al. No issues running via a 10GbE to Thunderbolt or via 1GbE native.

Code:
Min SMB2 and Large MTU; Max SMB3
Encryption Auto
Enable SMB2 Lease
Enable SMB durable handles

No AFP but I do have Bonjour mDNS for SMB TM use.

As an aside I do really appreciate how little power the M1 uses. In fact the total power used by my rack with 3 x Syno NASes (1x 24/7*), 48-port switch*, router*, aux rack fans*, UPS*, TB3 external drive*, Sonnet 10GbE*, Win10 server, rack lights and the M1* averages a total of just 70 watts.

[* items are on 24/7, the rest are either timed, WoL or just as required]

Ran into this with a friend who has one iMac that crashes every 10-20 minutes when connected to the Synology. Finally stumbled on the fix last week when I when into their configuration. DISABLE *AFP*. You can leave BONJOUR and SMB enabled. Then I reconnected to the NAS and 10 days later, no crashes. AFP is dead protocol. Avoid it.
The issue is on SMB and 100% confirmed with both apple and synology. no futher advise needed.

Last edited:
Not exactly 100% confirmed as others are having no issues at all.

M1 Mac mini Finder / Universal Search for Star Wars on my Video share:

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 17.39.08.png

With 100% confirmed, I mean that I have a written confirmation from the synology helpdesk that they are able to reproduce the problem on their systems. And the written confirmation from apple that they acknowledge the problem and it is solved in the upcoming release 11.3.

Lucky you that your config does not show it. I have two M1's that both crash.

May the vaccin be with you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.