Info Apple's iOS 13 brings SMB server connectivity.

Currently reading
Info Apple's iOS 13 brings SMB server connectivity.

Can it get the/a VPN to open automatically? I've no desire to have SMB open to the Internet.

I already use ‎FileBrowser - Document Manager which can access SMB, WebDAV, SFTP, iCloud as well as other cloud services, and local files plus has a local WebDAV server.

Having SMB in iOS Files would be nice but FileBrowser does this and all its network connections are accessible through Files.

Downside is the confusing FB icon, which I read as Facebook even though I don't have that.

Thank you for reminding me of this app.

I'm using Readdle's Documents and I think it's absolutely amazing (when you have purchased PDF expert, which I have). However, I'm trying to abandon them to no avail.
They are using some embedded google analytics that I've discovered by chance when I was examining my iPad's backup.

I've purchased GoodReader and later they changed their terms of service to what amounts to the ability of spying on you. After the change, one can not access the files unless one agrees to the new terms of service!
I deleted it!

I’ve just tried File Browser Go. But couldn’t test much. Kept showing me the subscription options!

Can you confirm a couple of things for me on File Browser please? does it support opening a pdf file and removing pages or adding pages by merging two pdf files?

Also does it allow other applications access to its files (seamlessly via Files I think). For instance, can I go to the mail app and attach a file from File Browser's from within mail?

Can you confirm a couple of things for me on File Browser please? does it support opening a pdf file and removing pages or adding pages by merging two pdf files?
It's not a PDF editor, or other files for that matter unless iOS supports it. It supports 'edit in place' using apps that support it (which apparently PDF Export and GoodReader both do as I have both but GR is a rarely used app nowadays).

Here's GoodReader's privacy statement GoodReader
Also does it allow other applications access to its files (seamlessly via Files I think). For instance, can I go to the mail app and attach a file from File Browser's from within mail?
Yes, you just need to have FileBrowser running first or it asks to launch it then you tap top-left of the screen to go back to Mail. Have just tested this with Mail and selecting a .ods file that's on the NAS and using SMB.

@WST16 thanks for sharing this great feature, which embedded natively in File.
Currently I can save web pages in my share folder, which I can read or analysis later.
Yet there is a lot potentials there, e.g. directly sync my photos to NAS smb server w/o further app.
PS: can I access (how to setup) to access my SMB sever out of home?

Excellent. Glad it solved a problem for you :)

PS: can I access (how to setup) to access my SMB sever out of home?

If you’re asking if you can use SMB remotely, I believe yes you can. I’ve never tried it though. I’m more comfortable with WebDAV security wise, and it’s readily supported by Pages, Numbers and Keynote (apps I use a lot on my iPad).

I remember reading a few things about SMB not being secure enough. Something about encryption. I read that it is advised to use a VPN connection if you must use SMB. I decided to steer away from it for my remote connections.
Better read more about it and judge if it’s safe enough for your use remotely. Or take the easy way out and implement a VPN service and “tunnel” SMB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.