NAS
Synology 415play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friends.
I have a serious problem with my Synology 415play.
Some apps (e.g. "file station", "audio station", "viseo station", "application service") are not working. The message that appears is "repair", but when I execute this action the result is a failure: no repair. I have tried uninstalling and then installing the app, but the problem remains. There is even some application where there is no "uninstall" option.
I have sent the problem to Synology technical support and they have replied that they need to enter my NAS. They give me instructions but do not appear on my NAS to activate them. For this reason I am coming to this forum asking for help. Thanks in advance for your answers.

reboot Synology NAS and reinstall DSM?

I followed Synology's instructions: press the reset button for more than 4 seconds until I heard a beep. Remove the skewer for 1o seconds and do the same again until you hear 3 beeps. This clears all settings and then follow the guided DMS installation procedure.
But the second time I press the reset button I hear only one beep, not three. The only thing that happens is that the password is erased and I have to type it again. Everything else remains the same (the DMS). The problem remains. I don´t understand why Synology does not respond as the instructions say. I am devastated.

Last edited:
Is there an issue with the disk or raid setup? In what context is this "Repair" message appearing?
common factor between the apps that you mention is the web server, has it been installed and is it running fine?

Question: Is there any problem with the disk or raid configuration?
Answer: I have no problem with disk or RAID configuration.

Question: In what context does this "Repair" message appear?
Answer: It appears when I display all installed and available apps (package center).

Question: The common factor between the applications you mention is the web server, has it been installed and is it working well?
Answer: I do not have a web server installed. When I click on DNS Server I get a message saying "no items".

In case you need it, all packages can be installed, stopped, removed etc via the CLI (DSM7 specific command examples shown below):

Code:
Rob@R:~$ sudo -i
Password:

root@R:~# synopkg
usage: synopkg <command> [...]

command:
  start <package>                                                 Start a package.
  stop <package>                                                  Stop a package.
  restart [--service] <package|searvice>                          Restart one package/one or more services.
  resume <package>                                                Start a package without change its systemd enable status.
                                                                  It will do nothing if package is disable or already active.
  pause <package>                                                 Stop a package without change its systemd enable status.
                                                                  It will do nothing if package is already inactive.
  start-depend <service>                                          Start all packages depend on specific service.
  stop-depend <service>                                           Stop all packages depend on specific service.
  onoffall start|stop [event] [param]                             Start or stop all the packages.
  install <spk>                                 Install a package through local spk.
  install_from_server <package> [volume] [user] [beta]            Install a package from server.
  uninstall <package>...                                          Uninstall one or more package.
  upgradeall [limitonly] [lang] [user]                            Upgrade all upgradable package.
  chkupgradepkg [lang]                                            Find all upgradable packages from server, and decide whether to
                                                                  upgrade accorting to user settings.
  checkupdateall [lang] [user]                                    Find all upgradable packages from server (use cache first), and
                                                                  decide whether to upgrade accorting to user settings.
  status <package>                                                Get status of an installed package.
  is_onoff <package>                                              Check if a package is installed and active.
  version <package>                                               Get version of an installed package.
  query <spk>                                                     Get a package's basic information from the spk.
  list [--name] [--depend-on <package>]                           List installed package.
  checkupdate <package> [lang]                                    Check if a package is updatable.

root@R:~#
root@R:~# synopkg list --depend-on ScsiTarget

SnapshotReplication-7.3.3-1552: Snapshot Replication is an expert of data backup and recovery with the point-in-time copy mechanism. Businesses need data protection to prevent data loss from accidental deletion, application crashes, data corruption, and viruses.

root@R:~#
root@R:~# synopkg status ScsiTarget
ScsiTarget package is started
root@R:~# synopkg stop ScsiTarget
{"action":"prepare","error":{"code":0},"stage":"prepare","success":true}

The CLI method does not have any restrictions on what you do, so more powerful than the GUI. Many of us use it as a matter of course to remove default packages installed by Synology that may not be needed, in order to reduce system overheads.

I have managed to software restore the NAS to its initial state from the manufacturer. I removed the 3 additional data disks and installed the latest O.S. DMS 7 update (the disk was formatted by default).

I then installed the essential packages the result was perfect, as the package installation errors that appeared before have now disappeared.

But now a serious problem has appeared. I have opted for the Synology SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) storage system suitable for beginners like me. I turn off the NAS and insert the second disk (to insert them one by one, up to three additional ones). But a serious problem appears. I start the storage manager and it detects the second disk, but when I want the NAS to recognize it, it requires me to delete all the data. This same problem happens to me with disks 3 and 4 to be added, but not with disk 2 added without problems. It is inexplicable that when adding disk 2 the system did not demand to erase all the data, but it demands it with disks 3 and 4. I have a serious problem with this. any solution? Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I did not have the NAS configured as SHR nor as RAID but as separate drives. Why? Because I have a second Qnap NAS where I duplicate the data from the first one, for safety in case any drive stops working properly.

From your question I deduce that I can't use the SHR configuration, but I have to use the primitive one, without SHR and without RAID. however, when I try to create a basic volume, the same thing happens. The system requires me to wipe the disk clean of data.The "online mounting" button for adding new disks does not appear. In the "Create" tab there are only two options: 1) Create storage group, 2) Create volume. Maybe the reason why the system demands to delete every new disk I add is because a message appears saying: "this disk belongs to another storage group. Do you wish to continue?"

In short, SHR is not a "basic" drive, so adding multiple drives to SHR or any raid config will wipe them for sure. Also, using the basic configuration drive, will also require to wipe the drive, its just how DSM works. So you will not be able to use an existing drive with data on it, unless if was already used as a DSM drive on the same version of OS.

Starting a new pool, or volume inside an existing pool, will wipe the drives again.

Thank you Rusty for your kindness in helping me. I will have to accept the requirement to delete all the data on the disks to be mounted, because fortunately I have a second Qnap NAS that duplicates the data from the first Synology NAS!

If you have a working NAS with an empty bay, you can mount non-Synology drives via standard CLI Linux commands. Generally, this is not recommended unless you are a CLIfoo guru.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back