DSM 7.1 Are raid arrays consolidated when upgrading disks?

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Are raid arrays consolidated when upgrading disks?

NAS
DS1513+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I own a DS1513+ for a lot of years now. Disks have been replaced multiple times without an issue.
Right now a rebuild is running for replacing a 3TB to a 12TB drive.
The drives currently in my nas are 12TB + 2x6TB + 4TB + 3TB.
Because of these upgrades my volume is now spread over 4 raid arrays, see attachment.
photo_2023-08-23 08.31.26.jpeg

Would these be consolidated if I replace more drives with 12TB drives?
I don't really need the extra space, it would rather be for performance. Because before I replaced the 3TB drive performance was very poor. Or would that only be because the volume is 80% in use?
So, basically 3 questions:
Is performance degradation mainly because the 80% full volume?
Or is it caused by all the different disk sizes?
Is the number of raid arrays going to be less when I replace the 3TB and the 4TB drives? Drives would then be 3x12TB + 2x6TB.

Thanks for your thoughts in this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.