2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I have been testing the extra VLANs in SRM 1.3 and enabling a wireless SSID for each. When I use WiFi Explorer on my MacBook to see what each SSID on each band of each router (RT2600ac and one MR2200ac) I find that having all five VLANs (primary, guest, and the three new extra ones) has an impact on the maximum rate (e.g. channel width drops to next one down) that each band can sustain.

I have played with having none, one, two, or three of the extra VLANs having wireless enabled, also leaving the uplink on auto (but using wired) or set to wired-only. I don't think that the uplink setting makes a difference when wired is being used, but the max rate starts to drop with more SSIDs enabled.

First to drop is the MR2200ac 5 GHz-1 when two extra SSIDs are enabled, this goes from 867 Mbps on 80MHz to 400 Mbps on 40 MHz. The 5 GHz-2 remains at 867 Mbps. When I have all three extra SSIDs enabled then both devices drop max rates on all 5 GHz bands: both MR2200ac band to 400 Mbps, and the RT2600ac to 800 Mbps (the 40 MHz channels). For me the 2.4 GHz bands on the devices are unaffected as I have the set to 40 MHz channel width, so their maximum rates are now the same as the reduced 5 GHz rates.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. And if it is a hardware spec. related 'feature'.

~~~~~~~
Addn: limiting which SSID need 5 GHz may alleviate the impact. Deselect the SSID's Smart Connect and only have it on 2.4 GHz if that's feasible... e.g. IoT maybe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.