Are these 10TB Ultrastars supported in DS1621+ ?

Currently reading
Are these 10TB Ultrastars supported in DS1621+ ?

NAS
DS1621+
Hello! I have found the drives below at BH, but unclear if they are compatible or supported. Seems WD has many naming conventions. From reading comments they are retail HUH721212ALE604 and only HUH721212ALE600 is supported on Synology's list. Thing is, I can't find HUH721212ALE600 anywhere. I think the only difference is these are secure erase.

Does anyone have any experience with these, or clarity if they are supported? Thank you for your help.

☺️ Asked the same question about these disks a couple of days ago but then about the 8TB.
found on Compatibility List | Synology Inc.
that they are supported by Synology.

But the question remains are they good let’s say compared to Seagate Ironwolfs series?
I'm still hesitating between this and the Ironwolf series.

But the question remains are they good let’s say compared to Seagate Ironwolfs series?
Bad question.

There are 3 Ultrastar series available. And also two IW series.

But from the basic principles:
- Ultrastar 3xx, 5xx is midrange enterprise level
- IronWolf is consumer level
IronWolf Pro is leaning between the consumer and midrange enterprise
but there is an anomaly:
you can buy the any Ultrastar cheaper than IronWolf Pro (or Red Pro).
Use Search in this forum for more.

For some is sign of quality a “silent” HDD. For other is the lowest possible cost. Don’t read such post. Because HDD (or SSD) is one of most important core part of every NAS. It’s about your data.

☺️ Asked the same question about these disks a couple of days ago but then about the 8TB.
found on Compatibility List | Synology Inc.
that they are supported by Synology.

I'm still hesitating between this and the Ironwolf series.

I've been running on the HGST Deskstar product line for 11 years and they have been rock solid for me. When the next upgrade happens I will be implementing Ultrastars, they are one of the best Enterprise drives on the market.

Thank you everyone for the replies. After learning how strict the compatibility list was, I did not want to void the warranty. I was a little surprised about how strict the RAM and NVME requirements are too.

@BobW and @jeyare - It looks like the 10TB Ultrastars are on the list as the series, but not for the 1621+ with the B&H drive I linked? I can't tell, It looks like the 12TB are listed and I'm stumped why the 10TB would not be.

@BobW – If helpful to you, my experience has been like @Coop777 above. Have used Ultrastars for years, they always seem to be tops on the Backblaze list and rock solid.

Thanks @Coop777, @Tones and @jeyare your comments and experience has removed the doubt in my mind to use the 8TB Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC320 as a replacement for my current Seagate ST2000VN000 (2TB).

Given the current offer of €199 each, I wouldn't pass them up either as they are now slightly cheaper than the Ironwolfs Pro 8TB.

Once again, thank you all for your help and contribution!

absolutely.

The only knock on the HGST drives are that they can be a bit noisy at times. Not an issue for me. And 8 TB drives are nicely priced these days. My only other advice for you is to make sure you are purchasing boxed retail drives if using them in an array and to make sure you get the factory 5 year warranty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back