Are WD Gold drives good to use with ds918+?

Currently reading
Are WD Gold drives good to use with ds918+?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I was wondering about using WD Gold drives instead of the WD red SMR drives I have. Would the Gold be ok to use or does it need to be a NAS drive?
Thanks

I have two 10TB WD gold drives in my DS218play. They are pretty noisy. They replaced two older (5400rpm, CMR) WD Reds which were silent. The current WD reds (plain ol' reds, red plus and red pro) are all 7200 rpm drives so may also be noisier than the older Reds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Similar threads

It's a gift (and a curse!) Yes, I'm relocating it to my primary home as backup storage there (in a closet...
Replies
Views
Thanks everyone! It seems my idea of just using the vintage box with new HDs isn´t entirely popular :)...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
As Telos indicates, keep in mind that the replacement DS1515+ has the same c2000 vulnerability as your...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To be expected... you can't move Windows drives into a Mac, or Arch Linux drives to a Synology... or...
Replies
Views
Glad you got your answers, I was going to suggest the same thing, replace 1 drive at a time, rebuild pool...
Replies
Views
Maybe it's Synology Hybrid RAID then because I can't get those speeds with DS1817+ nor with RS1221+ (just...
Replies
Views
Just stop where you are if you "tons of space". Don't even consider a hot spare (search my post history...
Replies
Views

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back