Are you happy with DSM7?

Currently reading
Are you happy with DSM7?

For all of you that have installed DSM7, are you happy with it?

• Yes!

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Kind of...

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Wish I'd never upgraded

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
One would hope/wish that a key improvement is that it's designed from the ground up to enable better security/protection from hacking, etc.

A bit like going to the dentist for a root filling, and it wasn't as bad as you feared.
Absolutely - pretty much sums it up.

I do have some minor flaky issues, like the Cloud Sync icon not appearing on the upper-right destop in the nofication area like it should and does on my DS218+ that I also upgraded to DSM7. The new UI is also bit prettier. I don't use the photo features at all, but I suspect anyone who does will not be happy w/DSM7 photo capabilities compared to DSM6.

Does 7 have new programs or features that 6 does not, or cannot do? (Incentives for updating?)
Definitely yes, but it's a personal choice if you use them or not. Here you can find a reasonable summery:

Take the Hybrid share feature for example. If your NAS disks run out of space, you can opt to (instead of purchasing more hardware (disks, expansion bays etc)) expand your volume into the Synology C2 cloud (never tested this myself yet. I still have plenty of storage space).

Last edited:
I have avoided 7, even being not willing to determine what’s new….. afraid that I’d trash existing operations.
The 6.2.4 update on my 215J experience on a fully operational system on 215J I took to relatives location, 800 miles away… working on 6.2.3 FLAWLESSLY! Suddenly I come home— and it fails— I’m Under the gun, Under a time constraint with relatives not willing to accept: “It’s a bug—wait 2-3 months!”! Working system suddenly stops, and, when upgraded to 6.2.4 at Synology’s suggestion— still fails STILL FURTHER with decreased 215J workload — when the real problem was a bug in DS CAM — the original cause……. I convinced relatives to use phone data after WIFI Connection fails… A Synology issue. This whole issue fell directly on my shoulders…, I decrease, Cameras, Bandwidth, Quality. & frames per second to get system operational. This: Scared the crap out of me. (Relative Passed Dec 30, and why I gave 215J to Daughter & Son in Law). Yes? I have a 718+ & 720+ with Ram (SSD Cache 720+) upgrade …….. BUT — I have been burned… Folks here know I’m not making this up…, And V6.2.4 works now. So forgive me if I’m not a fanboy of 7 right now!

Thank you for that information.

Well ... not decided yet... I only have one DS918+ and not sure if I'm going to switch ...
A little afraid to leave Moments behind and switch to Photos

I finally decided to bite the bullet last week and move to DSM7. Admittedly I am not using things like Docker, so far, but all went very well and smoothly without any hitches.

I was a bit concerned about what I had read of USB incompatibilities and so almost the first thing I tried was to check my external USB 5TB drive, which I use for monthly backups, and a 16GB USB memory stick I use for the most important 'fire copy' files, which is kept elsewhere; both continue to function as before.

Edit: One really good thing I noticed was that the USB Copy app maintains the current position in the list of copy settings, of which I have about 20. Previously I had to keep scrolling down to find the next setting to select, click run and then start scrolling down yet again to find the next one.

The upgrade for both of my NAS models was mostly routine. The only gotcha was that Itunes suddenly stopped being able to access the NAS, not sure why. The most recent DSM 7.x upgrade seems to have helped with this as I noticed after that upgrade it started working again...An annoyance is that DSM 7 now flags drives that were listed compatible under DSM6 to unsupported warning with DSM 7.

I have avoided 7, even being not willing to determine what’s new….. afraid that I’d trash existing operations.
The 6.2.4 update on my 215J experience on a fully operational system on 215J I took to relatives location, 800 miles away… working on 6.2.3 FLAWLESSLY! Suddenly I come home— and it fails— I’m Under the gun, Under a time constraint with relatives not willing to accept: “It’s a bug—wait 2-3 months!”! Working system suddenly stops, and, when upgraded to 6.2.4 at Synology’s suggestion— still fails STILL FURTHER with decreased 215J workload — when the real problem was a bug in DS CAM — the original cause……. I convinced relatives to use phone data after WIFI Connection fails… A Synology issue. This whole issue fell directly on my shoulders…, I decrease, Cameras, Bandwidth, Quality. & frames per second to get system operational. This: Scared the crap out of me. (Relative Passed Dec 30, and why I gave 215J to Daughter & Son in Law). Yes? I have a 718+ & 720+ with Ram (SSD Cache 720+) upgrade …….. BUT — I have been burned… Folks here know I’m not making this up…, And V6.2.4 works now. So forgive me if I’m not a fanboy of 7 right now!

Thank you for that information.
Yep, it's because of nightmare scenarios like this, and the fact that I don't use my units for anything more than a plain jane nas, that I actually have them locked to only local traffic--they don't even know if a new dsm is available or who their daddy is, lol.

And it's not just Synology. I keep all my nas units off the Internet--there's no need for them to be out there mucking around.

And the big advantage to this is you really don't need to upgrade unless you have to or need to for a feature or a bug that's bothering you. Otherwise, just keep on trucking. :D

you really don't need to upgrade unless you have to or need to for a feature or a bug that's bothering you

Or you need help from Synology support...

Even if you keep devices off the Internet, its still best practice to keep them updated as much as possible as it includes security fixes/patches. If a hacker or virus does find a way into your local network, you want to make sure he/it runs into as many roadblocks as possible and not able to exploit vulnerabilities. Your security should never be 1-layered.

Or you need help from Synology support...

Even if you keep devices off the Internet, its still best practice to keep them updated as much as possible as it includes security fixes/patches. If a hacker or virus does find a way into your local network, you want to make sure he/it runs into as many roadblocks as possible and not able to exploit vulnerabilities. Your security should never be 1-layered.
Yes, if it's still under warranty and you want the benefit of support, you'll need to follow 'best practices' or whatever the requirements are.

There's never a winner in the cat and mouse game of 'patches and exploits'--especially when my use case doesn't really require anything other than file serving. Your right that 1-layer of security is never enough, but taking yourself completely out of the game is also a bigger move. Not for everyone, but works well for me. Combine that with units that aren't on 24x7 and the attack surface is really low and obscure. It's always the common, most used devices and scenarios that have the most exploits--hence why synology and qnap are locked in a continuous battle with ransomware--they're the most popular nas units that are attached to the Internet.

I'm a bit curious about how people feel about DSM7..
Well-designed (two-factor) login config alternatives, indicates good overall security.
Good UI and tidied admin-panels compared to v6.
I like Photos but, like everyone else, I'm waiting for updates on the irritating functional shortcomings.

I'm a new user, so I have no experience with previous versions. As a new user, DSM7 has been easy to work with. I've been able to work through most issues I've had.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.