Assign DNS name to non Windows? DNSMasq?

Currently reading
Assign DNS name to non Windows? DNSMasq?

With DD WRT any host I would assign a name to would be pingable internally by that name; with SRM, it's not. Is it possible to do this? I have a few devices such as a Linux box that I can't ping by it's host name and I have that I'd like to ping by a host name.

There are many discussions about this missing feature, even before Synology introduced their first router. Do a Google search and you'll probaly find some scripts that attempts to auto update DHCP entries into the DNS package. It works on a NAS, so it should also work on a Router.

I've seen one guide where you SSH into the router but I'd rather not do that everytime a firmware update takes place. I suppose I could use PiHole to act as my DHCP server as well but I like using the router for that.

You could run DNS Server on SRM. Designate a local domain that you use in DHCP and create a zone for this and add your devices as A records.

You may need to set main DNS in SRM to point to itself (SRM LAN IP) if you are using Safe Access... I forget if it still defaults to SRM’s DNS so would use whatever internet DNS u is S set here unless you change it.

This is pretty much what I do and can ‘ping nas’.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.