DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi All,

I have tried installing Atomic Data (Atomic Server and GUI) using docker on my Synology.

It does read to be a fantastic concept and very Obsidian-like for KB's work and Note taking.

Has anyone made any attempt? Or success?

This is my docker-compose for the server, and I am not sure how to proceed. Not able to follow instructions properly.

YAML:
version: '3.3'
services:
  atomic-server:
    image: joepmeneer/atomic-server
    container_name: atomic-server
    ports:
      - 9883:80
    volumes:
      - /volume1/docker/atomic-storage:/atomic-storage

I get the following error immediately.
1682590895633.png

Do you have any suggestions at all for me? Sorry if I am being a bit stupid here.

The initial setup and config: atomic-server suggest creating an env file; I am not where? and what needs to be in there.

You should ask on their discord channel first. Many more users/experts there. When you do, your subject header is your opportunity to attract qualified experts' attention. Don't waste it on babble like “Help Wanted” (let alone “PLEASE HELP WANTED !!!! Messages with subjects like that often get discarded.

You should ask on their discord channel first. Many more users/experts there. When you do, your subject header is your opportunity to attract qualified experts' attention. Don't waste it on babble like “Help Wanted” (let alone “PLEASE HELP WANTED !!!! Messages with subjects like that often get discarded.
Oops. I would never say [Help Wanted]. That is an oversight on me. I pressed "post" in haste there. Sorry about that.

As @Telos said, this is an atomic-server / Docker issue rather than a Synology one.

I know nothing about atomic-server or your docker / network setup, but I can see from your compose file that you are mapping port 9883 to port 80; but are then trying to access the server on <local IP>:9883, and the error is that no resources are available on that IP/port.

Try mapping port 9883:9883 in your docker compose and see what shakes out.

Try mapping port 9883:9883 in your docker compose and see what shakes out.
I'm unsure that will help. The container is expecting 80 and 443 (unless you change the port environmental variable).

Code:
docker run -p 80:80 -p 443:443 -v atomic-storage:/atomic-storage joepmeneer/atomic-server

@vivian The instructions said to use...

to register your first (admin) user. Did you do that?

Code:
http://192.168.1.121:9883/setup

The write-up on changing the port is unclear. It seems to be an option, yet, it is used in the setup instructions. Also there is a 443 port in the docker run instructions... I don't see that in your compose YML.

Last edited:
I have also installed this and this is working. I have just created an extra port for 443 like 9443:443 and it is working.

It's working, but still got errors. Seems to work when you can use localhost instead of ip address.

If you read the instructions, you will notice that the setup expects a config.toml file generated from the .ENV. The config file then needs to be configured and mapped with changes settings inside it.

By default the output is

Code:
2023-04-27T13:38:30.738374Z  WARN atomic_server::appstate: No existing config found, created a new Config at "/root/.config/atomic/config.toml". Copy this to your client machine (running atomic-cli or atomic-data-browser) to log in with these credentials.
server = 'http://localhost'
agent = 'http://localhost/agents/RChvYY/a8YcisbS098bontNf96SxP53zyWlADq/b1G'
private_key = 'ZdPQEBI0wt4imWBfczy3pgXmHcL1j2UdjPionwgWg='

Following the default config file that reads this:

Code:
server = 'http://localhost'
agent = 'http://localhost/agents/RChvYY/a8YcisbS098bontNf96SxP53zyWlADq/b1GQ'
private_key = 'ZdPQEBI0wt4imWBfczy3pgXmHcL1j2UdjPionwgWTg='

The generated config file from ENV looks like this:
Code:
# Generated by `atomic-server generate-dotenv`.
# Recreates the `/setup` Invite for creating a new Root User. Also re-runs various populate commands, and re-builds the index
# ATOMIC_INITIALIZE=
# Re-builds the indexes. Parses all the resources. Do this when updating requires it, or if you have issues with Collections / Queries / Search
# ATOMIC_REBUILD_INDEX=
# Use staging environments for services like LetsEncrypt
# ATOMIC_DEVELOPMENT=
# The origin domain where the app is hosted, without the port and schema values
# ATOMIC_DOMAIN=localhost
# The port where the HTTP app is available. Set to 80 if you want this to be available on the network
# ATOMIC_PORT=9883
# The port where the HTTPS app is available. Set to 443 if you want this to be available on the network
# ATOMIC_PORT_HTTPS=9884
# The IP address of the server. Set to :: if you want this to be available to other devices on your network
# ATOMIC_IP=::
# Use HTTPS instead of HTTP. Will get certificates from LetsEncrypt fully automated
# ATOMIC_HTTPS=
# Initializes DNS-01 challenge for LetsEncrypt. Use this if you want to use subdomains
# ATOMIC_HTTPS_DNS=
# The contact mail address for Let's Encrypt HTTPS setup
# ATOMIC_EMAIL=
# Custom JS script to include in the body of the HTML template
# ATOMIC_SCRIPT=
# Path for atomic data config directory. Defaults to "~/.config/atomic/""
# ATOMIC_CONFIG_DIR=
# Path for atomic data store folder. Contains your Store, uploaded files and more. Default value depends on your OS
# ATOMIC_DATA_DIR=
# CAUTION: Skip authentication checks, making all data publicly readable. Improves performance
# ATOMIC_PUBLIC_MODE=
# The full URL of the server. It should resolve to the home page. Set this if you use an external server or tunnel, instead of directly exposing atomic-server. If you leave this out, it will be generated from `domain`, `port` and `http` / `https`
# ATOMIC_SERVER_URL=
# How much logs you want. Also influences what is sent to your trace service, if you've set one (e.g. OpenTelemetry)
# Possible values: ["warn", "info", "debug", "trace"]
# RUST_LOG=info
# How you want to trace what's going on with the server. Useful for monitoring performance and errors in production. Combine with `log_level` to get more or less data (`trace` is the most verbose)
# Possible values: ["stdout", "chrome", "opentelemetry"]
# ATOMIC_TRACING=stdout

The command used to run it is: atomic-server-bin generate-dotenv

Guessing setting the IP address instead of localhost and uncommenting the line will make a difference. Haven't tried it, just saying.

I am sorry I asked this question here. I wanted to see if my fellow synologists had installed this and wanted to share some experience.
I love this forum because users are trying to help me even after correcting me. :D I Joined their discord - only a few people there, but I have asked the question.

I am going to try from my end, too and report back.

Thanks for the support @Rusty @Telos @jphermans

I have progressed now. I had to add env variables in the compose file.
environment:
- SERVER_URL=192.168.1.21

Still far from actually making it usable, but I no longer get that error. Need to learn to use it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.