Audio Server with existing mp3 library.....?

Currently reading
Audio Server with existing mp3 library.....?

NAS
Synology 1819+
Router
  1. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,
I have a Synology 1819+ and would like to have it server up my mp3 library for access by my iOS devices and Windows PCs. the Windows PCs are on a LAN, the ios devices across the internet.

I have an existing library of mp3 files, organized exactly how I like them (a human-readable folder structure). Most of the Audio Server apps I find seem to want you to 'ingest' then, recreating them in a second location in a proprietary database/file structure according to that system.

I would like to use a (preferably free, such as AudioDS for Synology) server app that allow me to 'point' it to my library. That way, I can manipulate my library directly (NFS or smb) and NOT have a second copy of the files.

Any suggestions on what to use for this, or can the Synology Music Server do this somehow?

The only catch with Audio Station is that your file structure must reside under either /music and/or /home/music. Otherwise, there is no restructuring required. For example, I used...

/home/music/a-m/Acoustic Ants/Acoustic Ants - Greatest Hits (1996)/Acoustic Ants_01_Dry Ground.flac
/home/music/a-m/Anvil Ice/...

The only catch with Audio Station is that your file structure must reside under either /music and/or /home/music.
That's not completely right. For the AS personal music library it must be in /home/music, but the AS shared library can be anywhere provided that the folders are included in the Indexing Service for type 'music'. These same 'shared' folders are also used by Media Server to server DLNA/UPnP.

Within AS there is a folder view as well as a library (tags based) view.

I have a DSM Shared Folder called 'multimedia' that I sync across my Mac's iTunes library and various other folders. These form the basis for my media libraries for Audio Station, Video Station, Media Server, and Plex.

I may try creating a symbolic link in the /music folder pointing to my actual directory. Perhaps that will allow me to keep the music where I wish it to be.

I may try creating a symbolic link in the /music folder pointing to my actual directory. Perhaps that will allow me to keep the music where I wish it to be.
Or just keep it where it is, provided it's not somewhere in a user's /home folder, and add a new rule in Indexing Service.

Whenever I copy over files from the Mac to me media folders the new files automatically get indexed and are quickly available in the associated packages.

Or just keep it where it is, provided it's not somewhere in a user's /home folder, and add a new rule in Indexing Service.

Whenever I copy over files from the Mac to me media folders the new files automatically get indexed and are quickly available in the associated packages.

Looks like a symbolic link from the /volume1/music folder to my folder works as expected. Unfortunately the music file don't appear until I perform a manual "media index". Since this must be done every time a change is made to the library (I assume), I made need to add a command line to perform the indexing on a regular (daily?) basis. It does not look like there is a way to detect changes and only index those.

In the end, the reindexing was far too time consuming, so I removed the symbolic links, hid the /music folder to it isn't visible to anything, and added my own music folder to the indexing system as suggested by fredbert. Thanks for the help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.