Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
I use the 920+ to supply Music to my SONOS System...... I've had occasion where a Music file showed up in the wrong folder and required ID3 Tag inspection to reveal the issue. It can sometimes be frustrating as the smallest error can cause issues. Otherwise dependable for 8+ years...... Adding new files occurs typically without issue... until now.

I added a single song to an artist that already had two songs. I first ran it through my "Tag & Rename" ID3 Tag Editor to insure it was exactly the same as the other two songs in structure. No issues at this point.

When I Updated the music Library on the Sonos and it finished indexing, I found when looking up the song it had created a new artist for that one song. And this new artist folder is named exactly the same... "a-ha" (The name of the group) But this new folder with the new single song is at the END of the "A's" in alpha order, while the original folder is at the top that contains the original 2 songs.

I went back into and checked multiple times with the Tag Editor ALL the songs to insure they were identical in all structures. I then went in to the NAS / Audio Station to see if the problem was there also. It was!

When looking up "a-ha" by FOLDER, there is only one.... and the 3 songs are in it. When I then look for "a-ha" by ARTIST, it shows two (2) Folders.... One with a Capitol "A & H" (A-Ha) and the other with a small "a & h"....

When I again review that song in the ID3 Editor, none of these Capitol Lettered tags are shown. If I look at all the 3 songs in Audio Station and use its dropdown "Song Information" , nothing is displaying these capitol letters that are identifying differently then the others.

Same structure is displayed when I go to File Station and use its "Music Information editor" and no capitol letters are displayed.

Somewhere this wrongly cased name is encoded that is not displaying for me to identify and correct.

I'm missing something somewhere....

Attachments

• audio station.jpg
    audio station.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Tag Editor.jpg
    Tag Editor.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 24
  • audio station music editor.jpg
    audio station music editor.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 24
I use the 920+ to supply Music to my SONOS System...... I've had occasion where a Music file showed up in the wrong folder and required ID3 Tag inspection to reveal the issue. It can sometimes be frustrating as the smallest error can cause issues. Otherwise dependable for 8+ years...... Adding new files occurs typically without issue... until now.

I added a single song to an artist that already had two songs. I first ran it through my "Tag & Rename" ID3 Tag Editor to insure it was exactly the same as the other two songs in structure. No issues at this point.

When I Updated the music Library on the Sonos and it finished indexing, I found when looking up the song it had created a new artist for that one song. And this new artist folder is named exactly the same... "a-ha" (The name of the group) But this new folder with the new single song is at the END of the "A's" in alpha order, while the original folder is at the top that contains the original 2 songs.

I went back into and checked multiple times with the Tag Editor ALL the songs to insure they were identical in all structures. I then went in to the NAS / Audio Station to see if the problem was there also. It was!

When looking up "a-ha" by FOLDER, there is only one.... and the 3 songs are in it. When I then look for "a-ha" by ARTIST, it shows two (2) Folders.... One with a Capitol "A & H" (A-Ha) and the other with a small "a & h"....

When I again review that song in the ID3 Editor, none of these Capitol Lettered tags are shown. If I look at all the 3 songs in Audio Station and use its dropdown "Song Information" , nothing is displaying these capitol letters that are identifying differently then the others.

Same structure is displayed when I go to File Station and use its "Music Information editor" and no capitol letters are displayed.

Somewhere this wrongly cased name is encoded that is not displaying for me to identify and correct.

I'm missing something somewhere....

It looks like the last one is an underscore rather than a dash or some other special character? Seems to be lower than the other two

Attachments

• DB99070E-1943-4E33-B345-9F3E0232B3AE.jpeg
    DB99070E-1943-4E33-B345-9F3E0232B3AE.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks Gerard... I hoped you were correct, however why the screen shot distorted the position slightly is unknown. That would have been an easy fix! I looked at all 3 again and its a mystery. I failed to mention I removed that troublesome song 3 times now from the NAS, took it apart and rebuilt it hoping that would resolve it. Nope. I tried a 3rd File Editor (in addition to the file inspector in Synology and Tag & Rename) and they all show identical structures. The Mystery continues....
-- post merged: --

Solved! After repeating most if not all the same steps with no success, I just took a copy of the song and this time used the "Remove Tags" Option in Tag & Rename... something I had never utilized or needed prior. This option appears to strip everything in the ID3 Tag, but the actual Song Name. I then manually repopulated all the data. I then replaced the original in the NAS File and with it and Updated the Music Sonos Library. Now when I checked the Artists, the Song is now where it belongs and there is no 2nd a-ha folder! Evidently there was something incorrectly coded in that original that was not displaying correctly and was interpreted as a different song.
Thanks to all who made suggestions......

Attachments

• Tag & Rename 1.jpg
    Tag & Rename 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 11

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.