Audio streaming to grapheneos

Currently reading
Audio streaming to grapheneos

NAS
DS412+
Hi,

New here. I hope somebody has some experience with my problem and can help.

I have 2 NAS.
One is for my LAN and is locked down just fine and it serves the house - audio streaming with minimserver and that works great on a vlan for all my media tech.
My second is internet facing and I am trying to set it up to stream audio to my family phones.
All phones are Pixel 4a running grapheneos.

So using paid apps from the Google store is not possible and something I would prefer to avoid.
I've looked into WebDAV + cloudbeats but to use that without ads and certain functions requires payment through play store.
I looked into bubbleupnp but again had to pay through play store or install amazon app and pay (another company I prefer to avoid and deffo don't want their app on my phones)

Paying/contributing/donating to a developer isnt a problem, its just finding something functional and secure that has nothing to do with apple amazon google.

Being a pixel 4a, there is no SD card slot and the internal storage is not enough to store a copy of music and just sync updates to the NAS. I need to stream.

Has anyone experience of a way to stream from synology to a phone using something like WebDAV + <insert app> or any other way?

Thanks in advance for any help

So using paid apps from the Google store is not possible and something I would prefer to avoid.
Do you mean:
  • you prefer not to pay for apps in the Google Store, or
  • you prefer not to use apps from the Google Store at all?
I've no experience of GrapheneOS, how security validated apps are made available, nor what sources of apps are permitted. Do you reject direct install of DS audio? Synology Archive Download Site - Index of /download/Mobile/Android-DSaudio/3.15.1-456

Have you tried using the web interfaces of audio servers on the NAS? Mostly not optimised for mobile screens but do work.

Do you mean:
  • you prefer not to pay for apps in the Google Store, or
  • you prefer not to use apps from the Google Store at all?
I've no experience of GrapheneOS, how security validated apps are made available, nor what sources of apps are permitted. Do you reject direct install of DS audio? Synology Archive Download Site - Index of /download/Mobile/Android-DSaudio/3.15.1-456

Have you tried using the web interfaces of audio servers on the NAS? Mostly not optimised for mobile screens but do work.
Hi,

I use a couple of apps from the play store within separate profiles on the phone.
I download those from aurora store.

And then other apps that are FOSS from github or fdroid.

Eg. protonmail and signal I download the apk direct from them, bromite browser import the repository into fdroid and install.
But an app with a payment mechanism that is only through play store... Is not possible on this phone.
Athough the phone is google made, there is zero google software running on it, so for example there is no google play services and battery lasts way longer.

Its a security hardened OS and super easy to install on pixel only phones. You can put whatever you want on it although an app with a play service dependency will most likely struggle in some way. I'm trying to remain as google "eye of sauron" free as possible

DS audio has 2 google trackers in it and is listed as GSF dependent on aurora store and I'm not too clear on how it communicates to the NAS.
I could try it in a separate profile on the phone and it might work, but I was hoping someone with a synology might have come across a more FOSS orientated solution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.