DSM 7.1 Audio Streaming to macOS / Apple Music

NAS
DS214Play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
I have a DS214Play and I want to stream music on my Macbook. I was recently able to do this in Apple Music as Library using Itunes Server on my Synology.

I recently had to unplug the Synology for a few months, and after plugging it back in, everything is working again as normal, except this functionality.

I have ensured I have the absolute latest version of DSM running - DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 3, and am running the latest version of ITunes Server - 2.0.0-2723. I am running macOS Monterey 12.2.1 and I have the latest version of Apple Music running.

From Finder, I can successfully connect straight to the shared folders running on my Synology. All of the networking appears correct, all of the sofware is up to date but I simply cannot get this to work any longer.

Is anyone able to offer any guidance on what/where I might check for misconfiguration? Everything online is just "click the dropdown Library in Apple Music, it just works", but there must be some configuration somewhere that is preventing this from working? Ports? Sharing? Something in macOS system preferences?

Any advice anyone is able to give is much appreciated/
-- post merged: --

Alternatively, are there any decent audio applications for macOS that will stream direct from Synology? I'm not tied to Apple Music at all, but want a way to stream direct with any transcoding handled for me

Alternatively, are there any decent audio applications for macOS that will stream direct from Synology?
Would using a different media streaming platform be an option? Like Plex. You can host it on your NAS, import your music there and get it on any mobile, desktop, web, tv platform out there... just an idea.

Thanks - I have considered Plex and used it briefly in the past but I'm not sure it solves my issue. When I am not on the local network I'm happy using DS audio / video. In this case, I am only concerned with being on the local network, only concerned with audio, and want a native app (not browser based). Plex feels a little overkill for this, but also not sure about the setup - does Plex provide a native audio player for macOS that will let me browse/stream the library in the same way ITunes Server / Apple Music does?

does Plex provide a native audio player for macOS that will let me browse/stream the library in the same way ITunes Server / Apple Music does?
Not sure what way you are referring to, but PlexAmp as a native player offers far more then apple music player does.

Also not sure I would call it an overkill at all. Yes it allows for all media streaming but even if you use it just for audio, why not.

macOS example

screenshot-2023-01-27-at-17-48-16-png.12036

Unless I'm mistaken, this appears to want to charge me a monthly fee in order to stream my own music from my own NAS in my own house?
If so - could we please go back to the original topic / question.

Unless I'm mistaken, this appears to want to charge me a monthly fee in order to stream my own music from my own NAS in my own house?
It requires PlexPass (there is a one time fee only as well) correct but that is for all the Plex eco-system features. Amp is just one of the things that comes with that.

Ok - it's never going to happen - please save that conversation for a different thread.
How can I check all required configurations are as needed in order to get ITunes Server working with Apple Music?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok - it's never going to happen - please save that conversation for a different thread.
How can I check all required configurations are as needed in order to get ITunes Server working with Apple Music?
Both Plex server for the NAS and the Plex client app for MacOS are free, and will catalogue & stream your music from your NAS. The client app is x64 native; it will play under Rosetta if you're on an apple silicon machine.

I don't use a Synology for streaming music any more, but iirc the Syno iTunes server broke with one of the recent MacOS updates - Monterey or Ventura. I dont know if it was ever fixed by Synology as I stopped using it after that.

Jellyfin will also do what you want and is a fully open-source solution (and is free £££). I think its MacOS client might be an Electron app but not 100% sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back