Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello,

does anybody now how to fix this. My mail server have:
domain - domain.twd
fqdn - mail.domain.tws

I have mail [email protected] and everything works fine except Auto-Reply. When I run this function, it replies from [email protected] instead of [email protected].
Does anybody know how to fix that?
or
Does anybody know where is script or configuration for Auto-Reply in Synology (I want edit it in terminal)?

Thank you

Not sure where you are putting the domain and FQDN values. In Synology Mail Server's SMTP settings page there is only a single field 'Hostname (FQDN)" which is where you would put domain.twd. You can also add additional domains for which this server will interprete user@DOMAIN (=one of main or additional domains) to be destined for local* account 'user'.

In your DNS service, that are accessible to users that want to sent mail to you, for domain.twd you create MX records which will be for mail.domain.twd and other servers, and have priority weightings.

The mail.domain.twd is used by clients and servers to know where to send messages, but they address to @domain.twd. Once at a (doesn't have to be the) SMTP server the addressed recipients will be inspected against its list of domains/hostnames. If there is a match then the message will be processed (AV, anti-spam, etc) and end up in local account mailboxes, if not matched then the SMTP server will relay the message to another server.

*or directory user if you use those instead of local accounts.

Hello,

thank you.
For now I have set:
  • domain in Internet called domain.twd
  • FQDN in Mail Server is mail1.domain.twd
  • Additional domain name set in Mail Server is domain.twd
  • domain.twd has DNS MX 10 set to mail1.domain.twd
  • mail1.domain.twd has DNS A record set to my IP
  • Directory Server in Synology have domain name domain.twd
If I change FQDN to domain.twd clients can`t connect to SMTP Server.

I think you may be mixing up mail client setup and SMTP server setup.

The SMTP server needs to know what domains it is receiving mail for, and which domains it will be sending out/relaying. The 'Hostname (FQDN)' and 'Additional Domain' list is the set of domains (e.g. domain.twd) for which this mail server is their end destination: they will processed for local accounts. For all other domains (i.e. anything not explicitly matching the text of and entry in the list of domains) will be sent out/relayed. To reach the right SMTP server the messages recipient domains will be resolved against the MX records (e.g. for domain.twd send to mail1.domain.twd). This is done by SMTP servers.

However, email clients need to connect to a particular SMTP server, they aren't usually going to look up MX records to because there's no guarantee that a username is an email address. In this case the client configuration will use the SMTP server's real FQDN as the server name, along with port number and if using encryption. E.g. the email client would use mail1.domain.twd as the SMTP server name.

This is how I have configured my Mail Server. It uses LDAP accounts from LDAP Server and it is all setup using my personal domain. In my LDAP Server the FQDN would be the same as your domain.twd.

fredbert thank you for help, but I still don`t now what I am doing wrong.
My configuartion:
1672339907862.png

Where is the problem?

I don’t know Cloudflare‘s web interface for setting up MX records but this search result is pretty well what I do at Namecheap.

The MX record has:
  • Host: @
  • Value:
    • Mail server: smtp.mydomain.com
    • Priority: 10
  • TTL: (in my case, automatic)
I also have a MX record for mail.my domain.com too, priority 20. No real reason to do this, but I do it.

In Mail Server’s SMTP FQDN field I use mydomain.com.

I changed the configuration several times and it started working by accident :)
I always tried to send e-mails from a client inside from LAN to some external e-mail (e.g. gmail) - this never worked. I just used a mail client outside my LAN to send an email from my domain to another and it started working :)

There is only a small problem when I test the server on MXToolBox - the error "Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner" appears - only that in RevDNS at ISP I have the address set to mail1.mydomain.pl

1672681290608.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back