Autonomous Surveillance island solution - just for a comparison

Currently reading
Autonomous Surveillance island solution - just for a comparison

NAS
Synology, TrueNAS
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
I just finished proposing two solutions for the community I live in. It will be an autonomous solution, which should be strictly separate from the network with the possibility of viewing the data in case of specific conditions. I was pleasantly surprised that the Ubiquiti with the NVR separate box has already moved to the better part of the world. I used the smaller ones in the solution.

Variant No. 1: based on Syno Surveillance Pckg:
RAID5 with single spare HDD in case of RAID degradation
Because it's the autonomous operation model - no need to re-use NAS for other solutions.
The cheaper router used from Ubiquiti than in Variant No 2.

1637834376694.png

what_new_banner.png

Variant No. 2: based on pure Ubiquiti Protect solution
RAID5 w/o/ spare disk
quite better remote centre, integrated in the Unifi controller. Unifi Protect is +1 level better than Syno Surveillance.

1637834426274.png

screens.32aada9c.png

Conclusion:
Variant 2 is almost 2x cheaper than Variant 1. "thanks" to the cost of the cameras.
Someone may say why you don't get a 4bay NAS there without a Spare HDD, so you can compare a 1:1 solution with the Unifi NVR. Answer: Sure, it is possible.
However, the whole Synology solution kills the cost of 3rd party cameras (comparable performance/features). Because Synology does not support Ubiquiti cameras. So even if I will save 300 Euros on a lower model of NAS, it is still pretty costly to purchase 3rd party cameras + licenses for Syno Surveillance solution.

In this specific case is the Ubiquiti solution more useful and cost-effective.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.