NAS
1019+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Still working out how much storage I will go for in my NAS. If it's 16TB in the NAS, I can back up to a 16TB regular USB HDD drive HDD - seems easy. But if I push it to 24TB of NAS storage, I am outside of the normal HDD range which tops out at 16T. What recommendations would people have for a suitable 24T USB drive to plug into, say, a 1019+?

It is a good idea to split the backup in multiple tasks, and use as many disks as you want.

I use HyperBackup to USB hard disks. Even if my data can fit in a single HDD, I have 3 different tasks to the same one HDD. So I can backup shares of different importance using different settings, in different timings etc.
I do the same (for fewer shares) to another HDD.
I keep them encrypted to a different place and every other weekend I bring one of them home for the backup.

Also keep in mind that your backup may need more space than your data,
if you want to keep versions of files and deleted files for some time.
It depends then on how many and how big these changed and deleted files are.

I dont need versions. Ive backed up before to a second NAS and it just saved changes since last backup rather than a complete new backup (if this makes sense). If I go this route it does have the advantage of keeping the NAS in a totally different location. It's just I was hoping to go from two NAS down to one.

Still working out how much storage I will go for in my NAS. If it's 16TB in the NAS, I can back up to a 16TB regular USB HDD drive HDD - seems easy. But if I push it to 24TB of NAS storage, I am outside of the normal HDD range which tops out at 16T. What recommendations would people have for a suitable 24T USB drive to plug into, say, a 1019+?
IMHO, if you need to backup the whole 24TB then you need a more mission critical solution than backing up to external disks (especially if you‘re going to maintain a 3-2-1 backup strategy).

My suggestion is to minimize the backup size if you can. Backup what’s necessary and irreplaceable.

Just a thought.

Just get a second NAS to back up to... ;)
Agreed. Also what @WST16 said... if its 24TB of your own media library and not a downloaded content, then I understand. If its something that you can easily get your hands on again, think about what really needs to be backed up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.