DSM 7.0 Back up to non-Synology SMB share from Synology NAS

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've moved all my data onto my new DS720+ from my simple old Buffalo NAS that just presents USB shares. I want to back up certain shared folders on the Synology to a share on the old NAS, but I can't find any way to do it with tools included with DSM. They only either back up in the other direction, or to a Synology NAS or cloud storage. Could someone recommend a package or something I can install on the DS720+ that will periodically mirror the contents of a folder to a different local SMB share, the ones that appear under "Remote" in File Station? Even a "Sync" app might be fine depending on how it was configured (something like Allwaysync, Syncback or FreeFileSync on Windows).

This is not the only backup I'm planning. I want to use the old NAS for certain large-ish data that doesn't change that often (music archive, movies, recorded TV shows, software installers, ISOs etc.). If there is an app that has versioning like Allwaysync that's a plus, but it's not essential in this case. I'm backing up folders with frequently changed data to a USB HDD with Hyper Backup. I'm also looking for a cost-effective cloud backup provider (Backblaze B2 is on my short list).

It's not a good solution to back up straight to the old NAS because most of what I want to store on it doesn't live on a computer anymore, and I want it on my 720+, too. Using a computer as a middleman is cumbersome and I'd have to make sure the NAS and the computer were always on at the same time to do it.

Could someone recommend a package or something I can install on the DS720+ that will periodically mirror the contents of a folder to a different local SMB share
Hyper Backup rsync copy (single-version).

Screenshot 2022-02-27 at 14.47.53.png

Just make sure you have an account on the destination side configured as well as rsync server enabled.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. A quick search reveals that Buffalo's Backup program seems to be based on rsync, although the manual says nothing about it. It's only a Linkstation, not the higher end TeraStation type which support rsync. One post I found says:

The LinkStation can provide rsync targets when you create a shared folder and enabled "backup" for the shared folder. This option is not available for anything but the shared folders.
and
...it turns out that they're simply using rsync with a proprietary discovery protocol that can be easily fooled to work with any rsync target.

What I'm trying to do is make the LinkStation be the "target", right? That person was using an older model and trying back up in the opposite direction, to FreeNAS, so the above wasn't actually their point, but it looks promising. They also say it's possible to gain SSH access but don't say how. I'd prefer not to do that because I think I might break something. I'll experiment more tomorrow and post my results.

Upvote 0
I played around with it and unfortunately, I don't think that's going to work. Even though the backup system is based on rsync, the only example I found of someone who claimed to make it work was using an older model and somehow hacked the system (they didn't say how exactly).

Isn't there some kind of sync app you can install on DSM that doesn't rely on a server running on the destination drive? If not, I guess I'll have to find another use for the old NAS, separate from the Synology.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.