Backblaze computer backup (not B2)

NAS
DS213, DS224+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Does anyone here use Backblaze computer backup (i.e. not B2) to achieve offsite backup of your NAS?

I know this particular Backblaze service can't be accessed directly from the NAS or via mapped folders on PC/Mac, but it could be done indirectly by backing up NAS to USB (which many probably do anyway), then moving the USB drive to PC/Mac, and including that USB drive in Backblaze computer backup. As this involves manual relocation of a USB drive it won't be practical for daily updating of offsite backup, but for many people I suspect weekly or monthly update of their offsite backup would be satisfactory (it would be for me).

If you do it, do you have any recommendations for best backup option to use when backing up the NAS to USB (i.e Hyper Backup vs USB Copy) with Backblaze destination in mind, or any other tips?

Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone here use Backblaze computer backup (i.e. not B2) to achieve offsite backup of your NAS?
Open a B2 account and backup your NAS properly. Backing up a NAS to Backblaze Backup is a theft of services.

Jj88oR4.png

Upvote 0
Last edited:
That would be stealing services, as that service is for PCs. Theft is not tolerated here.

Why do you say that? I'm not looking to hack a way to directly backup a NAS or a mapped drive via the PC/Mac service. Fundamentally, I'm looking to backup a USB drive which happens to contain a backup of a NAS. As far as I can tell Backblaze computer backup allows backup of USB drives regardless of contents, with the exception that drives with Time Machine volumes won't get backed up. I've read Backblaze TOS in full and I don't see anything which excludes the approach I've mentioned.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
So what is your question... USB drive backup is integral to Backblaze Backup (BB). BB doesn't care what content is on your USB drive. This is unrelated to Synology.

The Synology-related question was in the opening post:

If you do it, do you have any recommendations for best backup option to use when backing up the NAS to USB (i.e Hyper Backup vs USB Copy) with Backblaze destination in mind, or any other tips?

If my English is so awful that the opening post doesn't make any sense, here's an expansion: There are are least two ways to perform a backup from a Synology NAS to a USB drive (Hyper Backup and USB Copy). Maybe there are more if there are 3rd party USB backup utilities that I'm not aware of. Given different backup applications produce different files/archives on the USB drive, there could be a meaningful impact on the Backblaze backup at the end of the chain (as well as impact on restoration). I'm interested to know if people have explored these variations and what they have found. Also interested in any other general observations from people who have taken this approach and feel there is something else worth sharing.

Upvote 0
The answer to your question about backup will be as vague as the question.
To give you a good advice, we need to understand a couple of things:
  1. Is there a special reason to go for backblaze? idrive is both cheaper and has a synology app. It also does backup phones and PC's
    There are also more professional cloudbackups like Hidrive that worth mentioning.
  2. Do you need versioning, and if yes, would this be standard of do you need flexibility?
  3. Is encryption needed?
  4. Is it a problem if the files are not readable and have to be restored with a synology tool?
  5. Should it run on a schedule without any manual actions needed?
  6. ..

Upvote 0
as vague as the question

I guess I really do need English lessons!

The answer to your question about backup will be as vague as the question.
To give you a good advice, we need to understand a couple of things:
  1. Is there a special reason to go for backblaze? idrive is both cheaper and has a synology app. It also does backup phones and PC's
    There are also more professional cloudbackups like Hidrive that worth mentioning.
  2. Do you need versioning, and if yes, would this be standard of do you need flexibility?
  3. Is encryption needed?
  4. Is it a problem if the files are not readable and have to be restored with a synology tool?
  5. Should it run on a schedule without any manual actions needed?
  6. ..

1. Price, provider polices, and possibly quality. Backblaze computer backup is cheaper than IDrive if you have more than 5TB. IDrive is also extremely clunky (I have tried it) and seems to me to have slippery practices when it comes to excessive charging for going over quota; there does not seem to be an option in the settings to disable the ability to continue backing up over the prepaid quota and once that happens prices are extortionate. I haven't used Backblaze so don't know if its substantially better but that's partly why tagged an open ended question at the end of my main question.
2. I would like versioning, although I don't particularly mind if the versioning is within the USB data or in the online data. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "would this be standard of do you need flexibility".
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. ?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Given different backup applications produce different files/archives on the USB drive, there could be a meaningful impact on the Backblaze backup at the end of the chain (as well as impact on restoration).
As stated before, the method of backup does not matter to Backblaze. The only reason Timemachine has an issue, it that it is regularly active during the backup, writing to the USB drive... so that "backup" would involve different timestates of the Timemachine files. A similar issue would arise from copying any USB drive, while a backup program was writing to the USB drive being backed up. That's not Backblaze constraint. If instead Timemachine was disabled/shut down, disconnected as you plan, then there is no issue.

Test it out and see for yourself.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Backblaze offers versions up to 30 days, if you want longer you have to pay some extra.
understand you idrive issues , left them for similar reasons, but they are actually cheaper at 10 TB than backblaze if you compare the full package as it includes versioning and multiple (all your) devices..
Cannot help you with the USB route as all need to be fully scheduled and automated here..
5TB Via USB, good luck.

Upvote 0
Backblaze offers versions up to 30 days, if you want longer you have to pay some extra.
understand you idrive issues , left them for similar reasons, but they are actually cheaper at 10 TB than backblaze if you compare the full package as it includes versioning and multiple (all your) devices..
Cannot help you with the USB route as all need to be fully scheduled and automated here..

Useful to know about the standard tier versioning limit for Backblaze computer backup, thanks. In this case I would just configure the NAS to USB backup to provide the versioning. I wouldn't then need versioning from Backblaze and the base pricing would be fine. The offsite backup for me is more about total disaster recovery (e.g. download whole backup following a fire or theft) than about providing another option for restoring individual files/folders that have been accidentally deleted or modified.

One potential I'm wondering about though (and this comes back to my original question about the impact of the NAS to USB backup method) is how Backblaze computer backup may treat a Hyperbackup file (.hbk file). If there has only been an incremental change to an existing .hbk file, I don't know if Backblaze computer backup will just update the changes within the .hbk file or if it will re-upload the whole file. If the former, great. If the latter, other methods of USB backup may be more suitable (e.g. USB copy or a 3rd party option).

Upvote 0
You'd probably see that the full set needs re-uploading:confused: anyway, nobody wants a 5TB .HBK file restore over internet.

I'd recommend to split the backups, if possible, depending on your needs and data:
1) a 100GB to 1TB maximum on your fast moving documents: backup automatic daily, versioned, at a decent data center.
2) an intermediate set of cold data that is archived or semi archived, (maybe photos, certificates etc) but you do not want to loose: No versioning or 30 days versioning against ransomware attack, idrive backblaze or similar, maybe second syno.
3) easy to replace and/or no problem if it gets lost data like movies, downloads. Spare USB disk or second Synology at trusted other location using HB, switched off via schedule and only on when backup is running.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.