Currently reading
Backing up between Synology NAS

NAS
DS1819+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Since last year I've been happily using 2 x DS1819+ devices at two locations to back up many terabytes of data. Normally I use a file sync app (SyncBackPro) when I'm at either location to push new data to either NAS.

What I need to do next is ensure that the same data exists on both NAS devices, but I don't necessarily want it to be a two-way sync, mostly because I'm paranoid about accidentally deleting data from one NAS and have the data delete from the other NAS.

The folder structure on both devices is the same. So what I'm thinking is pushing data one-way from each device to the other. For example:

NAS 1: one-way backup to NAS 2.
NAS 2: one-way backup to NAS 1.

I don't need version history or anything elaborate. I just want to ensure that new data on one device will eventually (given WAN-speeds) end up on the other.

From Googling and reading it sounds like I can use Synology Drive ShareSync to do this, so I've started setting that up but I can't specify the Local Sync Folder because the Change Folder Path icon is dimmed out.

Any ideas why I can't? Or suggestions on a better way to accomplish this?

Thank you.

I would use snapshot replication or HyperBackup
(with both NASes in the same place for the initial backup).

Version history is usually a vital element of backups, and will save you from accidental delets, ransomware etc.,
except you know well what you are doing.

What's the advantage of snapshot replication or HyperBackup over ShareSync?

Do you have any idea why I can't edit the Local Sync Folder using ShareSync?

Thanks for the answers.

ShareSynd does synchronization (or at least I think so, I don't use it).

A robust back-up solution, needs some kind of history. You may delete or alter significant files, and discover it a long time later.
So you need some history, it can be longer and more frequent for very important folders/shares
and only a few versions for less important folders/shares.

HyperBackup can do it very well, and the same can be achieved even better with Snapshot Replication. There are pros and cons in both solutions.
And both solutions require thinking before deciding how many versions or snapshots and of what. If you choose to keep versions or snaphots of folders or shares with frequently changing and temporary content, you will quickly fill your storage space with garbage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.