backing up ds1512+ to USB sata station recommendations

Currently reading
backing up ds1512+ to USB sata station recommendations

NAS
DS1512+, DS214
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
wanting advice on a backup for my ds1512+. it is a bit old but still running ok. a recent power outage issue has me wanting a backup solution for the unit.

not sure if i need another full fledged expensive NAS for this so would a USB3 sata docking station with a 8TB drive connected to the ds1512 be such a solution? i could use rsync or backup sw to copy from ds1512 to the drive? i'm thinking that would be faster, in theory, that coping over LAN.

recommendations/thoughts?

I would use Hyper Backup with an external USB drive. rsync is doable, but sync isn't backup, unless this is a one-time copy and store the drive plan. OTOH, Hyper Backup can be slow.

I would use Hyper Backup with an external USB drive. rsync is doable, but sync isn't backup, unless this is a one-time copy and store the drive plan. OTOH, Hyper Backup can be slow.
gee, didn't even think of that and it is already installed on the ds1512+. lol i guess a good 8tb sata drive from segate/ironwolf or a WD red would be good for now in a USB3 dock. i'll go read some reviews on some USB3 docking stations and get this data duplicated with HyperBackup before another power outage here. oh, and edit those scripts you mentioned on the other thread too. much appreciate the help!!

You could run Hyper Backup Vault on the DS214 and use that as the destination with the USB drive: Remote NAS device.

1632656125883.png

It's possible to start with the USB drive connected to the DS1512+ and set up a 'Local folder & USB' task. Once done you can move the USB drive to the DS214 and then create a new HB 'Remote NAS device' task that relinks to the vault data on the USB drive. Just note down the folder and package selection you made when setting up the remote task.

It's better to have backed up data off the NAS as then it cannot be accessed should that NAS become compromised with malware.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back