Backing up NAS to another NAS, HB or ABB? Which is better?

Currently reading
Backing up NAS to another NAS, HB or ABB? Which is better?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1621+, DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I didn't want to thread jack, so I figured I would ask here separately. Which is better for backing up your nas to another local nas? HB or the new ABB? I am currently using HB, I have never needed to restore (thank god) its just an insurance policy, but with the new ABB being able to do this now (nas to nas) I don't know enough about either app to know which is better, or even if one is better?

Just thought I would fish for opinions. Thanks.

In short, HB will backup only data, apps (officially supported ones), and settings (some of them). ABB on the other hand can do a full bare metal restore, including a partial one using the recovery portal if you want to get to certain settings and data.

Maybe this will help to understand the backup and recovery using ABB (NAS to NAS) - Active Backup for Business - DSM 7.1 disaster recovery

In short, HB will backup only data, apps (officially supported ones), and settings (some of them). ABB on the other hand can do a full bare metal restore, including a partial one using the recovery portal if you want to get to certain settings and data.

Maybe this will help to understand the backup and recovery using ABB (NAS to NAS) - Active Backup for Business - DSM 7.1 disaster recovery

Rusty have you tested a full backup and then a full restore with ABB? I'm trying to figure out how I can test this, the only thing I would have access to is a VM of DSM. It was easy to do with HB, I'm just starting to look into ABB for the NAS now in prep for when it comes out of beta.

Rusty have you tested a full backup and then a full restore with ABB? I'm trying to figure out how I can test this, the only thing I would have access to is a VM of DSM. It was easy to do with HB, I'm just starting to look into ABB for the NAS now in prep for when it comes out of beta.
I have tested. It's in the article I have linked it.

I have tested. It's in the article I have linked it.

Did you test using a physical spare nas, making a full backup and then wiping it? I unfortunately only have 1 production unit each in two of my locations. I would only be able to test things using a vm. I was under the impression that Abb won’t let you do a restore to a vdsm instance, is that true?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.