Currently reading
Backing up Photos with Android, issues and questions

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have a Galaxy S9 and I tried using "DS File" on my phone and selected "Photo Backup" Then chose "Back up all existing photos on your device" and for source I chose custom then checked off all my folders. I had the destination set for a Cloud Shared Folder called Galaxy s9. I immediately started backing up my pictures then later said complete. It did not backup all of my folders and pictures, it skipped the entire DCIM folder and it did copy some from the phone and some from the SD card. It copied 750 photos (820.8MB) out of 830 pictures on the phone.

Any idea why this does not copy everything?
Should I be using a different app for the phone?
Thanks

Does Es File Explorer do continuous backups from the phone to the NAS or do you have to manually do it? Does it need to be installed on the NAS? I wish Synology just had one app that did all backups!

Last edited:
What I just learned about DS File Photo backup
  • It only backs up JPEG, BMP, PNG (That I know of)
  • Photos in DCIM get dumped into the main folder and the NAS does not create the DCIM folder like it does with the other folders
  • It ignores duplicate photos even if the file name is different. Example 20190405 will backup but not 20190405(1)
  • Make sure not to check "Upload Photos only" I just noticed and thats why the videos were not uploaded
  • It does not backup any other file type
So it actually did what it is supposed to do, backup photos! Now to figure out how to backup all files on my phone, on the fly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.