Currently reading
Backing up Win11 to NAS

NAS
DS214play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Despite using the NAS for most of my file keeping, there are certain files that I must keep locally on my various Windows PC's. For the last ~10 years, I've been using Windows File History to back up each of these PC's to the NAS, and then Hyperbackup to backup the NAS to B2. It has worked flawlessly, no issues... until Win11.

Microsoft seems to have broken Windows File History in Windows 11, there are many threads out there on various forums, if you care to read up on it. I've been using it, in a degraded state to back up to my old NAS, but now I am moving to a new NAS. I think that rather than just redirecting Windows File History to the new device, it may be time to consider a new backup solution for Win11 to the NAS.

What are you folks using / recommending for PC backup, these days? Either way, I'll probably continue backing up the new NAS to B2 Backblaze, using Hyperbackup.

Thanks! But is it any good? Not looking to trade one buggy or cumbersome option for another! :D

It does appear even MS is suggesting 3rd party utilities, for those who don't want to be forced into using OneDrive as their backup.

Windows File History (WFH) was great, but is buggy in Win11, and every MS Forums post reporting this seems to be answered with suggestions to try 3rd party software, that WFH is really just a hold-over from Win7/10 that's losing support.

MS has reintroduced "Windows Backup", but now it forces you to log in with an MS account and backup to OneDrive. I don't set up any of my PC's with MS accounts, local only, and I wouldn't trust OneDrive to backup anything I care about.

Ideally, I want to find something that has a long history of support, that I can configure and not think about again for the next ten years, just knowing it will be there when needed. It should also automatically manage file history, keeping a reasonable backup size while maintaining several historic copies of file changes, the frequency of which is automatically managed by file usage frequency. Just like WFH has done pretty well since Win7. I'm probably too optimistic.

There are many good options. Veeam Agent for Windows creates partition (or whole drive) images which are incrementally updated. It's possible to restore full partitions or individual files/directories.

For something more along the lines of File History, I recommend Syncovery (non-free). It is an amazing work, and supports syncing (one and two-way), versioning, encryption, and many local and cloud targets. It has excellent developer support (I'm a long time user). A 30-day trial is available.

Thanks, Telos! Will definitely check it out.

I'm also not totally ruling out WFH, as even in its degraded state, it has worked very well for me for many years. My primary concern is choosing something that will force me to revisit this again in a few years, I really want set and forget... and then to have confidence it'll be working and ready when needed.

Most of us, myself included, tend to forget about our backup solutions between emergencies. Finding and configuring something stable and robust, will save my butt later, long after I've forgotten to keep checking on its daily operation.

Drive for single and ABB for full device backup
You gotta be more verbose for this old out-of-tune idiot, Rusty. I'm not hip enough to pick up what you're laying down. :D

The link to ABB helps, but what's Drive?

You gotta be more verbose for this old out-of-tune idiot, Rusty. I'm not hip enough to pick up what you're laying down. :D

The link to ABB helps, but what's Drive?
Synology Drive package (NAS and PC client). As Coop already mentioned though it was clear 😉

Old NAS, I just backed up all family member's PC's to a single directory. If set up as a share, I could even add file compression to this directory, since speed isn't really important.

New NAS, I had started setting up PC backups to individual /homes/user directories. My thinking was this keeps teens from digging thru parents' file history, etc. But this means backups for common hardware need to find a new home, and it just gets messy with backups scattered all over the NAS by user.

How do you folks organize your own, when shared with several users in the home?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.