DS920+, DS918+, DS214+, DS211j
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi!

I'm currently running a Hyper-Backup task that moves date from NAS A (DS216+) to NAS B (DS211j). Using rsync, this works perfectly well!

Since NAS B is shutting down regularly (because of security reasons and serves for backup tasks only) I would swap the backup direction. NAS B should execute a backup when it wakes up and fetch the appropriate date from shares from NAS A.

I already pulled my hair out but I got the impression that this is not possible using Hyper-Backup, correct?
Any backup task I've tried to set up on NAS B reveals that only local folders or shared can be used, either to backup to an USB attached device or to a remote server.

Right now, NAS A is dependent on the availability of NAS B. If NAS B is not yet ready after wake-up, the backup job will fail. Hence, the idea of swapping the backup direction.

Any tips are highly appreciated ;-)

Michael

If I understand well, you would like to pull the data in stead of push?
that is not possible in HB, it is possible in Active backup for business. No sure if that runs on a j type by the way.
why not sent a wake up message (WOL) from your 216+ to the nas B, and then 5 minutes later start the backup? Or even simpler: schedule nas B to turn on a a certain time and start backup a bit later?
I also notice you use Rsync; why not hyper backup vault?

If I understand well, you would like to pull the data in stead of push?
that is not possible in HB, it is possible in Active backup for business. No sure if that runs on a j type by the way.
why not sent a wake up message (WOL) from your 216+ to the nas B, and then 5 minutes later start the backup? Or even simpler: schedule nas B to turn on a a certain time and start backup a bit later?
I also notice you use Rsync; why not hyper backup vault?
Yes, pulling is the correct wording!

OTH I Active Backup is not available for DS211J :(
Regarding HB-Vault, yes this is installed on my DS211J without even using it. Will check this, too and try to setup WOL.

Thanks for your ideas!

...and a scheduled shutdown of NAS B after a certain time? Guess this may be an issue if backup has not yet finished.

Any suggestion how to cope with this bit? :)

If you run an incremental HB, my experience is that the backuptimes are fairly consistent.
After some time you will know that the backup runs for eg 20-40 minutes.Then schedule off the nas after 60 minutes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.